Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decal reproduction

Doing the art work needed to reproduce those decals would be multiple hundreds of dollars by someone who does it as a living. When I was doing art for decal companies those two would be close to $800. Then once you have art it's about $40 for a 8.5 x 11 sheet. 

You may find someone that wants those decals too and work out some type barter deal. Just a FYI......those 2 sheets are a lot of work. Good Luck!

For the yellowing part, I've had past success with putting decals in a ziploc bag and taping to a window for sun exposure.  Last summer I did that to a set of decals for a Fujimi BMW 6 Series Race Car.  Frailty is another issue.  I have had success with Microscale Decal Film, but the decals may be too far gone.  The pictures you posted do not appear to be that bad, but a test is necessary.

I have the benefit of a scanner that I use to make a copy of my decal sheet and, if necessary, can go from there.  What I do depends on the base color of the vehicle and what is necessary to deal with the translucency of any printed decal (I'm excluding ALPS Printers as they are about effectively non-existent and also Dye-Sublimation printers as well) and what I need to do about the white.

I'm wondering if the yellowing on your decal sheets is the paper not the film. Look at the circled items that have white in them, I don't see the yellow there. Least not on my screen. But where the film would be clear between other colors the white areas look yellow. I suspect the paper backing has yellowed.

3 hours ago, Dave G. said:

I'm wondering if the yellowing on your decal sheets is the paper not the film. Look at the circled items that have white in them, I don't see the yellow there. Least not on my screen. But where the film would be clear between other colors the white areas look yellow. I suspect the paper backing has yellowed.

Hard to tell from the posted photos.  Experiences I have had is the decal film yellows.  Another reason I clear decals after installing because I have had decals yellow with age.  I use lacquer clears misted to avoid issues with enamels coloring.  I plan to experiment with acrylic paint soon (Tamiya first)

5 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

I plan to experiment with acrylic paint soon (Tamiya first)

I've turned over to mostly acrylic at this point. Tamiya's X-22 is a good clear. I do still use clear lacquer at times though. It's all on my own whim at the time really.

I have a stash of waterslide decal papers that I use. I just use my printer and make a copy of the decals. As far as yellowing goes, I just try to edit the yellow out. 

During Christmas I spotted an ALPS printer at the UPS store. Not one person could understand me when I explained what I wanted to do. The last nail in the coffin "I don't know what decal paper is.

Mike