Model Cars Magazine Forum

2023 BRGB Tri axle T600 K-whooper

Giving thought to a good load for display on the trailer. Think I will build a plastic pellet storage silo. Managed to find a “G” scale ladder and ladder safety cage on EBay. Will use PVC tubing for silo housing and look for a funnel to match diameter. The rest will be Evergreen. Photo example1A1348DE-6886-43CC-B274-4B438B26B36D.jpeg.53d601fa52c293e0af9fb2143530563d.jpeg

Mounts made to put tank on trailer, got the pallet made for the installation parts for the tank. The railing for the top of the tank arrived but the ladder and safety cage did not. This will hold up installing the fill tube, as the railing and ladder must be installed first. The strap kits are here as well  7B2A8A59-2656-4D6F-9509-CE9281B246DA.jpeg.d6a331d7f967d744b9b99c22bd00f3c3.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Wow, that load is fabulous!

The equipment crate is a wonderful addition. It seems that it have some kind some shipping marks on it though. Or maybe a document packet.

Regardless, it's a perfect load for that rig.

David G.

Thanks David, agree the crate would look more appropriate if it had labeling, just not sure how to do that. Any suggestions would be helpful. I may do an antique wash on the crate to give it a worn well used look. 

21 hours ago, Gary Chastain said:

Thanks David, agree the crate would look more appropriate if it had labeling, just not sure how to do that. Any suggestions would be helpful. I may do an antique wash on the crate to give it a worn well used look. 

Hi Gary. What I would suggest to is search the internet for images of warning placards. Generic warnings like "HEAVY", "Lift Here" "HAZARDOUS EQUIPMENT" and others that may be appropriate. You could save the images to your computer then use a photo editing program to scale them down and print them out. 

Maybe even print out a label for a corporate name like "Chastain Electrical Equipment", or any other name you like.

That's how I made the warning placards on the side of the yellow tube on my Ecto-1 model.

Ecto_1_89.jpg.308b0a07d21e8318b0635dd860936f8d.jpg

And I agree with your thought to apply some light weathering and wear. You may want to start with a very thin blackwash. You may also want to try some wood stain to bring out the differences in the various wood pieces. The crate is a delightful model on its own, but I agree with you. It would definitely benefit from some detailing and weathering.

I hope you found some of these suggestions helpful.

Also, I think the tie-downs are a great idea. You found a great way to represent them.

Regards,

David G.

4 hours ago, David G. said:

Hi Gary. What I would suggest to is search the internet for images of warning placards. Generic warnings like "HEAVY", "Lift Here" "HAZARDOUS EQUIPMENT" and others that may be appropriate. You could save the images to your computer then use a photo editing program to scale them down and print them out. 

Maybe even print out a label for a corporate name like "Chastain Electrical Equipment", or any other name you like.

That's how I made the warning placards on the side of the yellow tube on my Ecto-1 model.

Ecto_1_89.jpg.308b0a07d21e8318b0635dd860936f8d.jpg

And I agree with your thought to apply some light weathering and wear. You may want to start with a very thin blackwash. You may also want to try some wood stain to bring out the differences in the various wood pieces. The crate is a delightful model on its own, but I agree with you. It would definitely benefit from some detailing and weathering.

I hope you found some of these suggestions helpful.

Also, I think the tie-downs are a great idea. You found a great way to represent them.

Regards,

David G.

Agree, those details really bring life to a build. One of the aspects of building that I have put little effort into is creating decals. I really need to start putting effort into that aspect for sure. Learning how to add weathering would be my next shortcoming. The excitement of learning new techniques is what keeps us building the next project. 

• Like 1

Making decals for the first time, what an experience. First I went to the internet found some labels and copied them to a Freedom app which allowed me to size them, can’t print from the app so I did a screen shot. I then printed to 8.5x11 Steven’s water slide decal sheet (blue sheet) but print was grainy. I then printed to some cheap Hobby Lobby water slide decal sheet (had to cut down to 4x6 to fit my old printer photo paper slot) and it had a much cleaner/brighter print. Still learning, gotta be a better way but it worked. IMG_1664.thumb.jpeg.68a8f21697a2aeccd2da988a3da12888.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the truck is looking pretty cool right now.

And I know things will only get better as you make your progress.  

I noticed you have extensive Model Master paints on your shelf, hope you have a plan once things run out.  

My favorite semi gloss black paint is from the Model Master’s acrylic series and I am still upset about it.  

There are places willing sell online, but now they are asking $$$ for a little bottle….