Model Cars Magazine Forum

House of Kolors paints

First of all I’m just now starting to use HoK lacquers. So it’s been a bit of a learning curve. I’m getting some pretty decent finishes with it, but it’s always been a solid paint job with no extras. I have done some kandys but that’s the extent.

Ok my question is I have a kandy finish on a funny car and its requiring some black panels. How long should I wait before taping off the panels and shooting the black on the body. Also what tape do you guys recommend?

Thanks

I would wait at least a week. As for what tape to use, there are as many choices as there are members on here. I use 3M Scotch masking tape (the expensive kind made in Canada). It's available in several widths. I buy the 1 1/2" wide and cut it to the proper width. It's very strong and won't bleed through like cheaper tape.

With any masking, allow the paint to cure completely before using to avoid trouble. I love HOK lacquers. I just don't know how much longer they will be available. Many states have outlawed their use already.

i may be the wrong person to give advice on this subject, but i've always had good experiences with Tamiya's masking tapes and 3M's orange core blue tape. the little bit of experience i had with HOK stuff was what was available in Walmart for a short period and i didn't really care for it, but that could be my complete lack of experience with those types of paints. usually i stick to Tamiya, Testor's lacquers and Floquils enamels.

the Tamiya tape is pretty flexible and most times stays put really well during painting. i have never had it lift any paint or cause problems in the past. the regular 3M blue tape is different than the orange core, so look for the difference. never had any issues with that either, but i usually only use it to mask off larger areas along with the brown painters paper.

Dave

Dave the stuff at walmart was a joke. Im using the HoK lacquer available through Slixx and Black Gold, its a true automotive paint. sprays like butter...

What I do is mix the HOK candy or any HOK paint that I use with SG-100 Intercoat Clear then you won’t ever have any paint lifting or bleeding through. When you put just a candy with nothing over it to protect it, it's rough and some times not even the bare-metal foil will stick and paint will get under the tape, Thats when you get your paint lifting. Get the Intercoat clear 50% of your mix then add 20% candy concentrate or paint to your liking then the final 50% reducer so it would be a total mix of 120 and that should solve your problems. Dry time is only a few hrs between taping instead of day’s.

Intercoat clear is your friend. It has saved me a bunch of head aches. When I do the flame paint jobs that's the method I use. It's dry to the touch in Minutes.

Edited by MR BIGGS

Dave the stuff at walmart was a joke. Im using the HoK lacquer available through Slixx and Black Gold, its a true automotive paint. sprays like butter...

Actually, the paint available from walmart was Kustom Kolor paint by Valspar (the mfr of House of Kolor). I like both types a lot. They are vastly different, however, and require different techniques. Check out my candy apple convertible for a view of both types of paint. I used a defferent type on each model and you can hardly tell the difference.

Edited by Helipilot16

First of all I’m just now starting to use HoK lacquers. So it’s been a bit of a learning curve. I’m getting some pretty decent finishes with it, but it’s always been a solid paint job with no extras. I have done some kandys but that’s the extent.

Ok my question is I have a kandy finish on a funny car and its requiring some black panels. How long should I wait before taping off the panels and shooting the black on the body. Also what tape do you guys recommend?

Thanks

24 hours or 4 hours if you use a dehydrator with lacquers. As far as tape goes one word TAMIYA!!

these were shot with HOK and Tamiya lacquers, using Tamiya tape!

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

Actually, the paint available from walmart was Kustom Kolor paint by Valspar (the mfr of House of Kolor). I like both types a lot. They are vastly different, however, and require different techniques. Check out my candy apple convertible for a view of both types of paint. I used a defferent type on each model and you can hardly tell the difference.

thats great to hear. You are one of the few I have heard of that actually liked the Valspar offering. I have some so I may give it a second chance.

I'll give the tamiya tape a try...

Edited by TxRat

Yeah,I like Tamiya tapes too. No bleeding under the tape or melting the adhesive B) . Hate it when that happens :blink: .

The "HOK urethanes", not the lacquers, but the single stage and two stage are awesome IMHO.

They are more money and more work, but if done properly with some practice, are nothing short of "Spectacular", and offer a world of painting options available in no other type of paint, and you don't experience the common problems you hear repeatably about here with other types of finishes, when done properly.

I hope this helps - dave :)

What I do is mix the HOK candy or any HOK paint that I use with SG-100 Intercoat Clear then you won’t ever have any paint lifting or bleeding through. When you put just a candy with nothing over it to protect it, it's rough and some times not even the bare-metal foil will stick and paint will get under the tape, Thats when you get your paint lifting. Get the Intercoat clear 50% of your mix then add 20% candy concentrate or paint to your liking then the final 50% reducer so it would be a total mix of 120 and that should solve your problems. Dry time is only a few hrs between taping instead of day’s.

Intercoat clear is your friend. It has saved me a bunch of head aches. When I do the flame paint jobs that's the method I use. It's dry to the touch in Minutes.

This sounds like a great option for the kandys that I didn't think of..

Treehugger, I have tossed the idea around of trying the urethanes but until the lacquers are no longer available I plan to continue using Lacquer.

I don't think Ive ever seen a model in person painted with urethanes, in pics the paint always seems "heavy" the shine is awesome however. is that the case or is that just my eyes..

I mix my HOK kandies (from concentrates) with SG100 and then reducer, slightly more reducer than the 2:1 ratio so that I can shoot it through my Iwata Micron C airbrush.

I've never had any problems, and its the best paint system I've ever used . . . I am not patient when it comes to paint drying and this stuff dries (I use a combination of medium and fast reducers.)

For heavy graphic work, I use the fast reducer.

What is SG-100?

Gabriel

It's a clear coat from HoK that is used for mixing Kandy Concentrates in to spray them and as a clear coat between color coats. But not intended as a top coat clear. Mike "True Fire" Lavallee makes extensive use of it in his patented True Fire flame paint jobs.

Terry

Terry is right. It's an "intercoat" clear which helps preserve the different layers of graphics in progress.

Actually, if anyone is interested, the tec sheets are all at the HOK main page. It's a good thing to read through them . . . just to acquaint yourself with the specifics.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/

Well for the taping off part i let mine sit overnight to gas out.As for the tape i use the blue tape you can get at wally tard.(this is a tip that Mr.Biggs told me and it really works)first get the tape and stick it to your shirt then stick it to the model.This keeps the tape from ripping your paint off the area it is covering.

There are a couple of different tapes from Tamiya. I've found the greenish grey stuff a little too stiff for my tastes but the gold tape might be the best I've ever used. I use the 1/4 in stuff for separations and blue tape for overall coverage. Very thin, supremely flexible with great adhesion.

Now that the Walmart line has been killed, where can I get reducer to use all the paint that I bought on sale? Or is there a substitute for the Kustom Kolor reducer?

There are a couple of different tapes from Tamiya. I've found the greenish grey stuff a little too stiff for my tastes but the gold tape might be the best I've ever used. I use the 1/4 in stuff for separations and blue tape for overall coverage. Very thin, supremely flexible with great adhesion.

Now that the Walmart line has been killed, where can I get reducer to use all the paint that I bought on sale? Or is there a substitute for the Kustom Kolor reducer?

I use medium temp lacquer thinner. It isn't a perfect fit with the KK paint, but it's the best available. Do not use oil based thinners; they will simply curdle the paint.

100% ergin laqure thinner.You could have gottin them at the auto paint shops but now look around the home depots or house painting shops :)