Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/9 Italeri Triumph 3WH Bobber

Found this WWII-era Triumph kit online and decided to take this one as my next build. First time building a scale motorcycle kit. The plan is to make a TROG-style bobber. Will try and add some wiring and plumbing detail and also weather it a bit.

First order of business is to replace the plastic spokes with some wire. Using .015 music wire for the spokes and 1mm K&S brass tubing for the nipples. More labor-intensive and tedious than I had planned, but I'm committed to it now! One half of the front rim is done, think it looks better than the kit version.

Italeri Triumph 3WH.jpg

Triumph Front Rim Comparision.jpg

Wire Rim.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the front rim & mounted the tire. Like how it tuned out! Got some time to clean up most of the motor parts and make a game plan on adding details to the head, carb and mag. Also started on the frame and front forks. More pics when I get a few of those parts assembled.

Triumph Front Rim Complete.jpg

Triumph Front Rim and Tire.jpg

• Like 1

It is a lot of work, but the thinner metal spokes really increase realism.  How did you replace the plastic spokes while keeping the hub aligned with the rim?  Did you do just few spokes at a time, so the remaining plastic spokes were keeping the hub in alignment?

If I ever venture to do this, I will likely use thin wall hypodermic tubing for the nipples.

This is going to be cool to watch! It's the perfect era bike for a TROG build.......... I wanted to maybe offer some help with the wire wheels! Here's a link to one of the tutorials on the forum. It's just one of several tutorials in the tips section.....

I'm not sure if lacing them like in the link wouldn't be a little easier? I realize you're pretty much done with these, but maybe another build could benefit?

I read (and even commented  in) the thread you pointed to.  Interesting method but  the info/instructions in that thread is incomplete, and some photos are missing.  Also, the lacing method would not work for this model (here the spokes are hooked into large center hub).

5 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Well, so much for being helpful, then......... :unsure:

TJ, the general type of wire lacing info in that thread, even if incomplete could be useful, but in this specific case I'm curious how Mark approached it on this model.  Like I mentioned, I looked through the thread you linked to (and noticed that I even commented there with a similar sentiment as I did here). Why can't I be honest with my opinion? 

17 hours ago, peteski said:

that thread is incomplete, and some photos are missing.

This isn't an opinion, you were just stating a fact......... ;)

Sorry, I've just been making a lot of dumb posts lately. I mean well, but end up not really being much help at all.....

Mark, I hate that your thread went off the rails! Please continue with your build, A lot of the guys here are really into these older bikes, and TROG in general.......

TJ - Not a problem! I have been swamped at work this week, but will get some time this weekend to make some more progress with the build.

Peter - Yes, your assumption is correct. When I started with the first rim half, I removed a couple of the plastic spokes at a time. Then drilled out the plastic nipple from the back side of the rim, ran my piano wire from the corresponding hole I had pre-drilled in the hub center out through the rim, then slipped the brass nipple in from the back side of the rim and positioned it, trimmed it and superglued it in place. Those nipples are only an 1/8" long, but look bigger in the pics. As I progressed on the first half and then started the second half, I would do them in groups of three - two that mounted on the same side of the hub, then the one that would be mounted in between those two, which ran underneath them (hope that explanation makes sense).  Worked counter clockwise until I had them all installed, so the center hub remained connected the entire time.  I am going to try and get the motor assembled next and add some wiring and plumbing details to that, then get the frame and front forks together before I tackle the rear rim. 

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry Marc that I missed your question when you posted in December. I had some serious family medical emergencies to handle that surfaced after I started this Triumph. Pretty much derailed my build activity for 2023 as my focus was elsewhere. I'm trying to jump back in and get started again, and this bike is high on the list. One I get something worthy to post, I'll add to this build tread. Perhaps when I decide to tackle the real wheel, I will document the process with some detailed photos so you and others can see my approach.

• Like 1