Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about Johan and other dealer promo models with the warp issue

Hi and good to return to this forum after a few years... I'm on a mission to catalogue/photo index a big dealer 1/25, 1/24 promo collection ranging late 40s into early 80s. My diecast collection will be next.  Due to several factors, likely going to sell a number of them after I get it all organized. I'm a bit out of touch with whatever market there is for them lately. Just a general question about how 'in demand' those with the famous butterfly 'warp' problem is?  I have quite a few that suffered that fate and curious how much that 'devalues' them.  Is it just kinda taken into account that this is a pretty common problem with them?   I'm sure humidity over the years did play a factor.  Some of these are pretty rough; frame separation, general warping;  A few worse-case examples in the attached pics.

How about scratches on window plastic?  I am detailing these as best i can before photography and pretty much leaving the window plastic area alone.  Fair number of them have scratches as per a couple of the pics.

While I'm at it, for those into the 1/25 universe...I have a pretty decent condition Cruver '49 Olds.   I know it's considered somewhat rare. Pic of one I have included here.  It that still a sought after piece?  THANKS!  

Mike

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

Edited by mikemich

• mikemich changed the title to Question about Johan and other dealer promo models with the warp issue

Yeah I figured that mostly accounted for the lower pricing on the Ebay listings of similar condition models. Unfortunate that many of these weren't better maintained over the decades but it is what it is.  It's good to see that there is still some appreciation for them even in the warp condition.  Thanks!

The windows are clear on those pictured.  Often they have a frosted or fogged appearance, apparently the plastics used weren't compatible over the long haul.  Plated parts on those will be styrene, as the plating (vacuum metallizing) process involves some heat, which acetate didn't take kindly to.

Besides warping, the acetate shrinks.  Years ago I had a '62 Dodge or Plymouth promo interior, I intended to use it in a USA Oldies kit build...way smaller...not even close to fitting.

Mikemich,  think of it this way, the parts are worth more than the sum of the whole car. I am not saying to separate the parts on the promos. But if I needed the front and rear bumpers, glass and steering wheel for a model it probably be cheaper for me to buy a parts car or warped promo with all of the parts I need than buying them separate. If it does not sell as a whole warped promo on e-pay. then separate the parts off it and sell them that way. Always have a backup plan. Good luck!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paul alflen said:

Mikemich,  think of it this way, the parts are worth more than the sum of the whole car. I am not saying to separate the parts on the promos. But if I needed the front and rear bumpers, glass and steering wheel for a model it probably be cheaper for me to buy a parts car or warped promo with all of the parts I need than buying them separate. If it does not sell as a whole warped promo on e-pay. then separate the parts off it and sell them that way. Always have a backup plan. Good luck!

Thanks Paul,I haven't decided- if/when i feel ready to sell this collection,  whether to go an auction route or piecemealing them on eBay... that's a whole 'other subject i guess... but yeah that totally makes sense about parting them out or at least specifying them as a 'parts' car if the warp is so major that it sort of 'totals it' : ).  The kicker is that with most of them outside of the warp the cosmetic condition is excellent.  Most of the promos went right into a display case when they were originally acquired.