Model Cars Magazine Forum

My modified 3D printed kit (resin) is warping. What went wrong?

I’m at work, so I can’t post a pic of it as is. This photo is a few days ago. Maybe a week. You can see a couple of low spots on either side of the join. The back section had a crack when it arrived. I didn’t want to wait for another cab, so I just went over the crack with super glue. 

This truck started out as two Crew Cabs. I cut them both and made a six door cab. The back end of the roof is sagging down. There is sheet styrene reinforcement lengthwise for the doors, and sheet styrene on the bottom of the roof. Cyanoacrylate (Super glue) was used for the joints. It’s my first 3D printed kit, so I don’t want to wildly speculate. 

E351EE49-8B19-4B31-90A7-F8C74BDC9065.jpeg

D583F757-6402-45CB-A3E4-792C7F830235.jpeg

The reinforcement inside the roof is probably pulling everything down.  Too, when you join two roofs together like that you are also getting an optical illusion where, even if an area is level, it will look concave.  Two trucks built with the same suspension, same tires, same ride height, if both look right the longer one will be higher at the highest point on the top panel of the roof.  If both are the same height, the longer one will appear to sag in the middle.

I've seen other pictures of this body and while it looks good for the most part, the rear of the roof is off. There's that huge lip which makes it seem like the roof is a bit sunk in. Is this part of what you're referring to?

333319605_958192742214514_6991337781203551645_n.jpg.faf18d905ec4501fc88a6e1cc4e1e3c8.jpg

6 hours ago, av405 said:

I've seen other pictures of this body and while it looks good for the most part, the rear of the roof is off. There's that huge lip which makes it seem like the roof is a bit sunk in. Is this part of what you're referring to?[/b]

333319605_958192742214514_6991337781203551645_n.jpg.faf18d905ec4501fc88a6e1cc4e1e3c8.jpg

Yes, but it wasn’t that way when it arrived. The photo after joining the two cabs shows two low spots in either side of the join. It was sanded with a stiff board. Is it my modifications or something else???

Edited by LDO

Can you post a  pic of the body in the slicer? Maybe more support is needed where it sagged. I try to postmortem my fails by comparing the failed piece to the slicer result.

Also, it looks like you physically cut the cab. I would cut it in a program like Blender or Meshmixer and then print it where possible.