Model Cars Magazine Forum

Waterslide Decal Keeps Peeling and Can I Shoot Lacquer Over Pledge?

I'm building a Frank Iaconio Camaro Pro Stock as a slot car drag car. I did the waterslide decals recently and one decal keeps giving me a hard time. The corner of it keeps peeling off. I applied the decal using warm water, Micro Set and micro sol. None of the other dozens of decals on the car gave me a problem. Right from the start this one did not want to adhere for what ever reason or another. Eventually the rest of it did and this corner won't stay. This is the 2018 kit.

I read a much other thread that someone recommended using pledge to help flatten decals. Could that work here? Also if I do put pledge over my decals and car body, after it dries/cures, can I spray it with Tamiya lacquer? Also is the pledge revive made under a different name now?

Waterslide decal pealing 2.jpg

was the decal thats peeling in the water longer than the others? it may be that the glue is gone from the decal if it was. you could try fairly hot water on a q-tip to very lightly burnish it down just in case there still some of the glue there but i suspect you'll need to remove the decal and find another

Make yourself an elmers glue and water solution.  Dab it under the decal and smooth out like you would a regular decal.  Any excess glue will wash off with water.

I have always had trouble with laquer clearcote lifting the edge of the decals.

I use a testors enamel or if you are happy with the pledge result stop there.

9 hours ago, stitchdup said:

was the decal thats peeling in the water longer than the others? it may be that the glue is gone from the decal if it was. you could try fairly hot water on a q-tip to very lightly burnish it down just in case there still some of the glue there but i suspect you'll need to remove the decal and find another

No, it was only in the water for a few seconds.

48 minutes ago, Mopar maniac 74 said:

Make yourself an elmers glue and water solution.  Dab it under the decal and smooth out like you would a regular decal.  Any excess glue will wash off with water.

I have always had trouble with laquer clearcote lifting the edge of the decals.

I use a testors enamel or if you are happy with the pledge result stop there.

I've done quite a few NASCAR hardbodies with Tamiya Lacquer and Mr. Gloss lacquer. No issues. I just go really really light mist costs for the first 2, regular mist for the 3 and 4th and 5th and sometimes 6th wet.