Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wanted: Monogram Son of Ford kit

funnycarfan

Funny car fan, I would try to get a new set of decals and a spare front wheel and rebuild that one! It is 90 % complete. Just polish the orange plastic. The instruction sheet might be on the Drastic Plastics web- page. Good luck! I had this Kit also as a kid. Never been reissued in this configuration. It is a Tom Daniels intellectual property design. Either Revell of Germany or Atlantis ended up with the mold. Unless the molding was done in China? The original mold should be in the US, Now owned by Revell of Germany.

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Just curious it doesn't seem that there are that many different parts from the other versions.

Is there a list of the unique parts for the son of Ford version?

Thanks for the replies and encouragement

I actually do have the wheel back on (snapped axle) and some new decals for it. I also have some in 1/8 to do a GRAND Son of Ford… one day

The differences that I am aware of our

wheels and tyres (shared with the Tijuana taxi)

headers (unique)

Moon tank 

tacho

injected Pontiac (shared with the ‘early iron’ series roadster)

roll bar (unique) and there are holes in the seat back to accomodate it

There are no holes above the boot for the chrome soft-top ‘rests’

It also shares the smaller headlights and lower light bar mounting position with the original little deuce

33 years later, it still remains at the top of my favourites list - the box art can’t be beat!

come to think of it… I think the wheels are also shared with the ‘Fireiron’ showrod

one other feature of note - the Son of Ford also has the pre-SBC ‘smooth’ bonnet, not the louvred one that monogram tooled up when they got rid of the poncho.