Model Cars Magazine Forum

61 Tempest chrome

lordairgtar

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I can't part with either; on my built kit that I began as the Tempest Monte Carlo roadster show car -- but I'll search for you some.  Too bad you don't need the '62, as I have one to spare!  Likewise the wheel covers, need for my replica '62 ragtop build!  Are you putting in a 4-banger, or leaving the hood shut?  I used a '62 on my conversion, but made one for the other kit the same way PMD did, making it from the right bank of a V-8; not hard at all.

There were other wheel-covers on the  original '61, as my V-8 coupe 1/1 has them, and also dog-dish on base Tempests, but don't think they were ever done for 1/25 kits.  The wheel covers that came with the '61 4-door were offered through '63, I believe, on the real cars.  Not very stunning; I put K-H eight-lugs on the M.C. phantom, tho it came with wires originally, then Halibrands when redone by PMD for '62!

DSCN0882 (2).JPG

On 6/14/2023 at 12:45 AM, W Humble said:

Sorry I can't part with either; on my built kit that I began as the Tempest Monte Carlo roadster show car -- but I'll search for you some.  Too bad you don't need the '62, as I have one to spare!  Likewise the wheel covers, need for my replica '62 ragtop build!  Are you putting in a 4-banger, or leaving the hood shut?  I used a '62 on my conversion, but made one for the other kit the same way PMD did, making it from the right bank of a V-8; not hard at all.

There were other wheel-covers on the  original '61, as my V-8 coupe 1/1 has them, and also dog-dish on base Tempests, but don't think they were ever done for 1/25 kits.  The wheel covers that came with the '61 4-door were offered through '63, I believe, on the real cars.  Not very stunning; I put K-H eight-lugs on the M.C. phantom, tho it came with wires originally, then Halibrands when redone by PMD for '62!

DSCN0882 (2).JPG

Your Tempest LeMans is pretty cool looking. Haven't

decided whether I will create a four banger for the model. If I do that, I would want to scratch an entire chassis and replicate the transaxle as will. just have to see how much work I wish to take on.

I have two '63 ragtop models, one I built as a 'Powershift SD 421' factory racer back in '63, and the other is an unbuilt, but not all AMT, it has a JoHan Olds F-85 tub, etc.  Best I could get!  To make my '62 replica of my recently sold LeMans, I swiped the chassis platform etc from the '63.  On the 1/1 cars, the '61 and '62 are almost identical, but the '63 has an upgraded rear suspension which most folks prefer -- along with the iron 326 (336, actually in '63) which is tough and easy to find parts for, etc.  My '61 coupe, of course, is the Buick alloy V-8.  

Before I committed the chassis swap, I made two chassis replicas from resin, one of which is going under the '63 kit, when I dig up some more parts and find time.  I'd offer you the spare one, if you'd use it?  Be aware that it needs some work; clean up and filing to get a good fit, etc.  You could swap me something if you wished. 

I found the AMT chassis to be close to realistic, but with some glaring flaws, if one wanted to show the underside: the transaxle and IRS is there, sorta, along with a pretty accurate 'rope-shaft' housing (it's a torsion bar, of course, in two intermediate bearings) but the swing axles are not indicated, just a big bulgy barrel shape to connect the wheels.  With the resin copies being solid material, not hollow, in that area, I was able to grind out a fairly realistic cavity with what passes for the solid axle half-shafts.  To do it betterly, removing all that material and fab two axles (prob could retain the indications of the inboard u-joints) from Evergreen stock, adding coil springs, etc. would improve the build.   A LOT of work, too much for my 77 year old hands -- esp if I want to finish some more of my little OLD stash before my expiration date comes up!!

I've been giving away a lot of old kit stuff, and my biggest issue is the darn shipping costs...  Let me know if you want the chassis, tho, okay?  And post a few pics?

Wick

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it wasn't I.  I have the two 'Kustom' grilles that came with the '61 sedan kit YOM, but they wouldn't do you much good; yours for the asking.  You didn't say if you would like the extra resin chassis; likewise.  It would need a little finishing and detailing.  All I ask is $5 or $6 to help with postage.

I'm looking for a 1961-63 Y-body coupe hardtop to graft onto my kit, as well as a more or less complete '61 Tempest kit to replicate my V-8 optioned 1/1 car, under restoration.  Itis pretty rare, but has lots of issues; bought based on description and a dozen photos, one of which is below.

If you discover anyone with surplus '61 Tempest stuff, I can trade or that other method...  Never hurts to ask, as my sainted Mom always said!

Wick

61 Tempest 02 side view.jpg

3 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

Hi, someone on these posts about my LeMans recommended someone to seek parts from. Does anyone remember who that is?

Resin Model Ranch is often recommended on here as a source of bumpers. I don't know if that is what you are remembering, but it appears that he offers them. 

https://rmrmodels.com/collections/bumpers-tail-lights/products/1961-pontiac-tempest

16 hours ago, Rodent said:

Resin Model Ranch is often recommended on here as a source of bumpers. I don't know if that is what you are remembering, but it appears that he offers them. 

https://rmrmodels.com/collections/bumpers-tail-lights/products/1961-pontiac-tempest

Wasn't this guy. I got scammed by a criminal. Just trying to locate the person. Appears he was new to forum and has disappeared. However, rmrmodels seemes to have everything out of stock

Edited by lordairgtar

17 hours ago, W Humble said:

Sorry it wasn't I.  I have the two 'Kustom' grilles that came with the '61 sedan kit YOM, but they wouldn't do you much good; yours for the asking.  You didn't say if you would like the extra resin chassis; likewise.  It would need a little finishing and detailing.  All I ask is $5 or $6 to help with postage.

I'm looking for a 1961-63 Y-body coupe hardtop to graft onto my kit, as well as a more or less complete '61 Tempest kit to replicate my V-8 optioned 1/1 car, under restoration.  Itis pretty rare, but has lots of issues; bought based on description and a dozen photos, one of which is below.

If you discover anyone with surplus '61 Tempest stuff, I can trade or that other method...  Never hurts to ask, as my sainted Mom always said!

Wick

61 Tempest 02 side view.jpg

Your car looks nice. I would like the extra chassis if you would let me have it. Contact me at lordairgtar@aol.com

19 minutes ago, lordairgtar said:

rmrmodels seemes to have everything out of stock

Folks on here that recommend RMR say it's always like that and he casts to order. I have never dealt with him personally.

Edited by Rodent

Making a Tempest 4 from an AMT or Revell PartsPak V-8 is pretty easy; mostly the intake manifold has to be fabricated, and the engine-to-bellhousing part ofthe block casting extended where the starter mounts.  Stocker has a long heat-riser tube that goes to the intake hot-spot, also.  Great 1.bbl cutaways in shop manual.  On my Monte Carlo interpretation, I tried to copy the engine Thompson built for a couple of PMD showcars with 4-71 blowers, etc.  Wick

Of course, he made that 2-cylinder mutation for the Dragmaster chassis that ran the four, and set FIA records with it too!  Frankentempest Jr.!