Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 64 Mercury Marauder - Review

Slotto

20230522_211241.thumb.jpg.29e54761aacb6dc18acc8d4fd3e4fd12.jpg

20230522_211225.thumb.jpg.fec81fb081c6a58aa4be079ea8cb96e8.jpg

20230522_211205.thumb.jpg.99aa08a78aca72d6685a4f998f3ce82d.jpg

This is my 1st kit review here.

I bought this kit at a club meeting with cash so no receipt. Upon opening the box I immediately noticed the warped body. What a downer. Then after further inspection I found a sink hole in the passenger side front fender. I confronted the manufacture and they said they would replace the body but wanted proof of purchase. without a reciept I was forced to pay s/h. I figured I would make the best of it and build what I had. The instructions looked like they were from 1964. If AMT is going to reissue a kit they should update their instructions. Even after these struggles, I'm actually pretty happy with my overall result.

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

That's a nice looking build. I like the wheels and color. However, this doesn't really qualify as a review. You don't mention what issue (release) it is, nor do you mention what it has a for parts, or any other basic description. As for the 1964 style instructions, they were adequate then, so I am not sure how they wouldn't be adequate today. What would you like you see changed about them? I think "On the Shelf" might be a better spot for it.

• Like 2

The most recent (current) reissue of this kit is in replica 1964 packaging.  I'd expect the instruction sheet to be that way also, as it indeed is.  The instructions illustrate every part in the kit and explain logically how it goes together...what else is there to be expected?

In fact, there are only three reissues of this kit.  Two were/are in original annual kit style packaging, and the third was done during a time when the (then) people running the AMT brand really didn't care too much about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Good to see this hot version offered by Mercury back in the day. In 1964, my next door neighbor had the real car. The Marauder flag emblems on the front fenders are well detailed. Thanks for posting.

Slotto sure did a nice build and the front emblems are really done well. I bought 3 when they were reissued. They all have a sink mark in the same place,  front left corner, starting smack dab in the middle of the flag and extending to the boomerang shaped character line. It's too bad because they stand proud enough to foil and detail. Eventually I will foil cast a replacement using the other side which is fine.