Model Cars Magazine Forum

Curley Tremayne Chopped 50 Merc finished!

Ferbz

10 hours ago, Jay Whittaker said:

OUTSTANDING rendition of a well-known kustom!! Just beautiful!

Thanks! It's not without it's errors, but it was my best effort and I'm happy to have it finished 😉

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 10:38 AM, crazyjim said:

Sweet, clean, and SHINY 😀😀😀

Thanks! I've always used lacquer paint and recently started using spray can guitar acrylic lacquer clear. It polishes out nicely. On this build I wet sanded with 2000 grit, then 3000 grit, then followed up with Novus 3 step polishing kit. 👍 

On 5/30/2023 at 7:18 PM, satterwhite78 said:

Everybody who build needs to have one of these Mercury's in their collection .....Fantastic build!

Thanks! I agree! Cutting up and customizing a stock AMT or MPC merc kit is alot of work and can be tricky if you're not familiar with doing body modifications, but the Revell 49 merc kit is a great one to get your feet wet with building a custom merc for your collection! 👍

On 6/4/2023 at 4:17 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

Absolutely stunning custom Merc! I’m not familiar with the full scale version but no matter because your scale version looks killer from every angle. Beautiful paint! 😍

Thanks Dennis! I didn't quite capture the 'glow' that the original paint job had, but gives a good enough impression for me. I don't build many scale replicas and I learned there's a certain element of 'pressure' with getting the details right! lol In any case, I did enjoy the build even with the some of the set backs I experienced with it. 

On 6/1/2023 at 1:21 AM, Flatout said:

Beautiful work Ferby…the custom bodywork and paint are stunning!😎

Thank you very much! It was a tough build but am very glad to finally have it completed!

On 6/14/2023 at 10:27 PM, Calb56 said:

I keep coming back to this build. Custom 49/50 Mercurys are one of my favorite cars and this is just such a pristine example of that.

Thanks! I love custom Mercs too, and this particular 1:1 car is one of my all time favorites 😉

On 6/1/2023 at 3:14 PM, Can-Con said:

very impressive replica.

Thanks! I didnt quite capture the 'glow' of the original 1:1 candy tangerine paintjob, but it gives the right impression I think 🙃