Model Cars Magazine Forum

FUEL INJECTION in the NOVA WAGON

Enquiry regarding the fuel injection setup in the 1963 Nova Wagon : is it based on a 1:1 offering ? Is it 'merely' a custom option ? 

I seem to recall that the original kit - which the car & trailer release is based upon - exhibited the F.I. option. 

Yes, I'm aware that F.I. was around in 1963 (with the Bendix Electro-Jector being the first electronic fuel injection unit, however flawed it was). so its presence as an option doesn't surprise me. Really, I'm just curious if the kit's representation was based on either an actual setup, or an experimental-on-paper-with-prototype-created setup.

Thanks.

ADDENDUM * : I'm referring to the stock engine for the wagon itself, not the (sweet) Hemi engine.

Edited by 1972coronet

I'm not familiar with that particular kit, but I seriously doubt Chevy offered a factory FI option on a wagon in that time frame.

Chevy's early foray into production FI was mechanical, as represented by this unit for the 1960-'61 Corvette...but it's entirely possible this style FI could have been dealer-installed on any small-block-equipped car, assuming a competent mechanic on staff.

47832445d1412797534-f-s-1960-61-fuel-injection-1963-distributor-dsc11647.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Thanks 1

The six-cylinder engine FI setup is aftermarket.  Hilborn, or other fuel injection companies, didn't offer injection setups for every single engine out there, but could probably piece together existing parts to create one for a paying customer. 

Those weren't timed FI units as would be used on a street driven vehicle, but constant flow fuel injection as used in a racing application.  Some guys did run those on the street, it could be done, but it wasn't done easily or often back then.

• Thanks 1

The editors at Hot Rod Magazine did an article on the Chevy II when they first came out. The put a small block V8 in it and mounted a Fuel Injection unit from a Corvette on the engine. They even had a picture of the car and engine on the cover of that issue. Could be the basis of the '63 Chevy II with F.I. story. 

Two different things here.  The 1:1 Nova with a swapped-in small-block with FI was, and is, certainly doable.  Several were built back then using the Corvette FI setup.  The V8 installation parts were available at the Chevy dealers' parts counter on day one.

The AMT wagon kit has a straight six engine (no factory V8 in '63, even though the '63 hardtop and convertible kits had it).  Optional parts include a Hilborn type aftermarket racing injection setup.  Looking back, anyone building racing injection setups back then were probably already making one to fit the Chevy II four cylinder engine, as it became instantly popular with the midget racing crowd.  Since that four was literally two-thirds of a Chevy II six, putting together an injection setup for the six would have been pretty simple.