Model Cars Magazine Forum

I wish more Colonnade Coupes were more kitted

Hello kitmakers.

I hope most builders will agree this post.

These years, you have offered really great cars in kit forms. You brung us back 1960s classic Muscle, 1970s Econoboxes, Vans, Wagons, light-tricks, etc.  Maybe it's time to explore a new way.

GM has offered endless variations of 1973-1977 A-body "Colonnade" coupes. And almost no one is offered in scale, just the 1976 Revell Chevy Montecarlo, that sells good for a curbside with no Stock version. I'm sure you would success, offering 1973 Malibu SS, 1977 Olds 4-4-2, 1973 GTO or 1977 Can-Am. Still weird for the good-old aging Pre-1973 public, these cars are getting more and more popular. They are considered as true classics on both the Lowrider and Restomod scene, and as much as we getting distance from the 1970s, they are gaining charm.

Both of you, big kitmakers, have existing 1:25 underpinings to reduce development costs. We could even be happy of curbsides for starters, and each model will find at least 3 declination :

-1973 Chevy Malibu SS

-1973 Chevy Malibu Baldwin-Motion Phase III

-1973 Chevy Montecarlo

-1973 Buick GS455

-1975 Buick Century Indy Pace Car

-1973 Pontiac GTO

-1973 Pontiac Grand Am

-1977 Pontiac Grand-Prix

-1977 Pontiac Can-Am

-1973 TO 1977  Olds 4-4-2

-1973 to 1977 Hurst Olds

All offered in Stock, Lowrider, Pimpmobile or Disco Street-machine with Mickey Thompson tires on American 200S... 

Come on guys, show muscles ! :)

Edited by Young iron
  • Like 2

I agree as I grew up with those cars, except for a couple points,,

Jo-Han did do '72-'75 Cutlass coupes although the front end on the later ones was incorrect and Revell did do a stock[ish] '77 Monte Carlo.

It was basically the same as the other issues but has stock wheels and tires. The rest of the kit aside from the adjustable chassis setup always was stock.

1977 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Landau – Revell – Rays Kits

Round 2 might have the best possibility of offering a GM Colonnade bodied kit. AMT had offered a NASCAR kit of a '75 Chevelle at one time. This could be used as a basis of a stock bodied car. While the Monte Carlos and Grand Prixs made up a large number of this body style sold, there are those that prefer the Chevelle, La Mans, or Cutless models. These also made some great looking wagon as well as the El Camino. Remember Round 2 was the one that went in and changed the old AMT '67 Impala SS into a four-door hardtop. While some of these body styles are available from some resin casters I think most would rather start with something in styrene. Just remember one thing when wishing for some company to spend some large sum of money to develop a kit, you 'all saying you want it had batter buy it or they realize that despite all the requests if no one buys it you just lost a lot of operating capitol, so what are the chances you'll try that again? 

11 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

After the Muscle Car era did the model companies decide that Malaise era model cars would not sell?

Mike

I'm not so sure about that (haha) : witness the Vega / Monza , Chevette, Pinto, Mustang II, Maverick, etc., etc. , annuals produced by MPC and AMT (separate companies at that time).
I'm fairly certain that if/when GM, Ford, Chrysler, AMC contracted for promos, that MPC and/or AMT , Johan, et alia, would produce them as well as the kit version(s). No call for them ? No need to create & produce such an animal.

• Like 1