Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gluing bumpers without clamps

I am working on some AMT 65 Pontiacs. The front bumpers have no pins or tabs to locate or lock them in place. Just test fitting was a clumsy endeavor. I saw my rubber bans and thought I would give them a try. Perfect tension and nothing to mar any finishes. Worked great on all 3.

Bumper gluing.JPG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, peteski said:

Interesting and clever technique but I much prefer pinning parts which have no clear locating points.

Yes, a bit more work, but it works well. I don't mind the extra work.  I actually enjoy it.

I have not done any pining yet. In this case there is no body surface to mount a pin. It is all "edge".

6 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I have not done any pining yet. In this case there is no body surface to mount a pin. It is all "edge".

True, since the entire nose (including bumper) just butts against the body, your method seems the best.   I mostly use CA glue and accelerator, so there would be no need to hold it until glue dried. But elastics would come in handy for keeping the pieces aligned while applying  CA from the inside.

On 8/7/2023 at 6:36 AM, peteski said:

True, since the entire nose (including bumper) just butts against the body, your method seems the best.   I mostly use CA glue and accelerator, so there would be no need to hold it until glue dried. But elastics would come in handy for keeping the pieces aligned while applying  CA from the inside.

I am apprehensive about CA glue around glossy or chromed surfaces. I use Testors tube red to get it to stay in place then later, fill ALL the gaps with Testors window maker. I makes gaps disappear and draws in the color from both parts to visually narrow the seam. It also provides full and resilient strength around the entire perimeter of the part.