Model Cars Magazine Forum

how do you paint old school suede

Krylon had a line of paints called Make It Suede for a while - I suspect they've been discontinued. You may still be able to find them at craft stores. There was no black color, but there were several interior-ish colors. I have a can of blue for my Crown Vics, but haven't done much with it so I don't know how it will look. I think it would be pretty good.

I'm working on a project just like yours. But I'm using the AMT 40' Ford, that I got at a swap meet that had been started.

Like Casey said, I plan on using a gloss black base coat followed by a simi-gloss clear. It will look better than a flat black finish. You want it to have a bit of a sheen on it for a suede look.

It will depend upon your choice of bases. If you shoot HOK (black gold) lacquer it is a satin at best when shot. at that point you can shoot dullkote over to finish or leave it as is. This pickup was not cleared and finished in this shot and has the suede look. If you shoot Tamiya lacquer you will need dullkote as most of these will gloss nicely if shot correctly!

IMG_0406.jpg