Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for those that have built Revell's 78 Corvette Pace Car

BDSchindler

My brother handed me a Revell (Germany) 78 Corvette Pace Car and asked me to build it for him.  My brother has turned into a Corvette FREAK since he bought a used 2006 Corvette but he has a shaky hands issue and realized that he just won't be able to do it justice.  So he asked me.

So here's my question...has anybody here attempted painting the detail stripes as opposed to using the decals?  My concern is trying to match the silver lower body to the silver in the decals

861563374_Pacecardecals.jpg.dc37230dc3d42068e74042b6add9f0e3.jpg

My options so far are...

1. Sand and Prime as normal then paint a red center line around the body, run some extremely thin tape around the body to mask off for the red pin stripe. Paint the body black then mask off the black and spray the lower body silver.  Remove all tape and clear
  2. Sand and Prime as usual, paint the body black, mask off and spray the lower body silver then mask off for the red pinstripe and hand paint it with a liner brush.
  3. Use the Decals as the directions call for.

Any opinions or thoughts are appreciated.

1978-chevrolet-corvette-pace-car-edition.jpeg.3217b0949ba516c234e64d4321ef5253.jpeg

Edited by BDSchindler

Others may be able to achieve the necessary masking for that red pin stripe, but that would be above my personal skill level. If I were building this, I would do my best to match the silver of the decal. But that’s just me. 

Whatever way you go about it, I’m looking forward to seeing the outcome. 

I Built George Jones' 1978 corvette - it is tan and brown , but the same paint scheme as the pace car.  It was very difficult to mask that stripe. My process was essentially your option 1. It can be done but getting the contour around the wheel opening was tricky, and I did not get it quite right.  I sure wish decals were available! 

I want to build the Revell kit again because those decals look so nice. 

20 hours ago, kurth said:

I Built George Jones' 1978 corvette - it is tan and brown , but the same paint scheme as the pace car.  It was very difficult to mask that stripe. My process was essentially your option 1. It can be done but getting the contour around the wheel opening was tricky, and I did not get it quite right.  I sure wish decals were available! 

I want to build the Revell kit again because those decals look so nice. 

This is a Revell Germany kit and from what I am told...all of the Revell Germany kits have decals made by Cartograf.  I don't know how accurate that is but that is what many have told me that.  What I do know is that Cartograf are some of the best water slide graphic decals available.

Edited by BDSchindler

On 8/19/2023 at 10:06 PM, BDSchindler said:

This is a Revell Germany kit and from what I am told...all of the Revell Germany kits have decals made by Cartograf.  I don't know how accurate that is but that is what many have told me that.  What I do know is that Cartograf are some of the best water slide graphic decals available.

It does say "Printed in Italy" so it is reasonable to believe they are printed by Cartograf.  I bought the RoG kit for the decals, they are really nice. I think I will use them on an original issue Monogram kit, so I have the best, crispest, flash free kit, and the latest , modern decals. The only thing holding me back is I want to find a way to make more detailed grills with separate turn signals.  I made several mistakes on my 78 corvette and I really want a re-do. 

If you’re going for accuracy, a bigger problem will be the engine accessories. All ‘78 pace cars were fully loaded, A/C, power steering, etc. The kit provides none of that, just an alternator. I started trying to fix that on mine but got sidetracked, and now it’s on the backburner. I should get it back out…….

I started working on this kit today digging out the panel lines and test fitting the nose and rear of the body as well as test fitting the interior tub.  In just those few pieces...nothing and I mean NOTHING fits correctly!  I was also shocked to see just how thick the plastic is.

This is the German kit...is the American kit this bad also?  Is it worth the effort to find the Revell American kit?

3 hours ago, BDSchindler said:

I started working on this kit today digging out the panel lines and test fitting the nose and rear of the body as well as test fitting the interior tub.  In just those few pieces...nothing and I mean NOTHING fits correctly!  I was also shocked to see just how thick the plastic is.

This is the German kit...is the American kit this bad also?  Is it worth the effort to find the Revell American kit?

It is the same tooling, which dates all the way back to 1977 ... so it is going to be ... well a 70s kit. My thinking is that an original issue will have the least mold lines, and flash

6 hours ago, roadhawg said:

If you’re going for accuracy, a bigger problem will be the engine accessories. All ‘78 pace cars were fully loaded, A/C, power steering, etc. The kit provides none of that, just an alternator. I started trying to fix that on mine but got sidetracked, and now it’s on the backburner. I should get it back out…….

I also have an engine from the monogram 1984? Monte Carlo  which looks busier and as I recall has more belt driven accessories. 

I also found this engine at texas3d customs.. a "2nd gen SBC" which also looks busy and has more accessories but I am not sure if either is an accurate place to start. 

The problem with building an accurate  1978 corvette is,  all the kits appear to be from 1978, just before the renaissance of plastic modeling in the 80s. 

To bring this back on track ... definitely use the RoG decals!