Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lotus Europa

Scale-Master

Several of the final parts to be added needed to be detail painted so that was done over the course of a couple days while the painting repair on the body dried.  I began installing at the front and worked my way back.  The taillights, turn indicators and side markers were painted with Tamiya LP transparent orange & red and chrome silver.  The chrome plating on the bumpers was weak and the mold lines pronounced so I painted them gold to go with the theme of the car.

The hood and windshield went in alright.  Not great fitting, but acceptable enough.

KNsWu67.jpg

After I installed the gas caps I reinforced under the areas that cracked even more.

SSbII3z.jpg

• Like 2

The rockers were painted the same gold as the bumpers and the rear lights were installed.

ipZyZWT.jpg

The doors and engine cover were installed.  They open and fit OK closed, but the door hinges are undersized and very floppy and even weaker.  Time to see how the body fits on the chassis…

mJl5GJl.jpg

EIr7tyF.jpg

• Like 2

The chassis fit very poorly into the body, but fortunately it was not a tight fit.  The front needed a lot of bending and cement to bring the front wheel wells up into the fenders (almost ¼ inch) and one of the front wheels was over 1/8 of too far back and 1/8 of an inch too far outside.  (Oddly it measured up square on the chassis, but the body just doesn't fit that way.)  Some creative reworking of the suspension on that corner had to be done after fitting the main body & chassis parts together and it took a couple hours to get it this close.  The rear wasn't nearly as bad but one side needed a significant toe adjustment.  Still having working suspension on three corners was very helpful and provided some needed forgiveness in getting it to sit level.  It sits a bit higher than I'd like, but at least it's now in an acceptable range. 

SFnGrgD.jpg

fuep2x8.jpg

• Like 1

A very nice addition to your 1/12 scale stable Mark. You have brought that old kit back to life really well.

Doing a relatively quick build or restoration every now and again in between the more ambitious long haul models I find  keeps the modelling mojo alive. Maybe you find this also?