Model Cars Magazine Forum

1981 porsche 924

so i never got rid of my quad for the camaro... i have recieved another offer for a 1981 porsche 924

here is the description he gave me I HAVE A 1981 PORSCHE EURO SPEC THAT I BROUGHT FROM GERMANY WHEN I WAS STATIONED THERE. I DROVE THE CAR FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS EVERYDAY. THE CAR RUNS, DRIVES, SHIFTS, AND STOPS GREAT. NEW PARTS = NEW BATERY, STEERING COLUMN, HEADLIGHT MOTOR, TIRES (ALL 4), BRAKES, TUNE UP (COIL, WIRES, ROTOR AND BUTTON, COIL), FUEL REGULATOR, SEALS (DOORS, HATCH), COOLING FAN, DASH HAS CRACKS BUT I HAVE A NEWER ONE IN BETTER CONDITION (COMES WITH THE CAR), SPEAKERS, HEAD UNIT. IT IS A 2.0 LTR N/A WITH A 5 SPD TRANS NOTHING POWER (WINDOWS, DOOR LOCKS, STEERING) WHICH IS GOOD NOTHING POWER ROBBING. ALL REPLACED PARTS ARE PORSCHE PARTS EXCEPT BILSTEIN SHOCKS. I HAVE ALL RECORDS FOR REPAIRS IN GERMAN TITLE IN GERMAN BUT I HAVE A CLEAR OHIO TITLE ALSO.

P1030814.jpg

P1030813.jpg

P1030812.jpg

P1030817.jpg

P1010156.jpg

P1010155.jpg

well guys you think i should trade him or tell him its a negative he said it has 106000 or so kilometers with is like 60000 miles i do belive well guys help me out i know nothing about porsche execpt this one is slow lol

I've got about 11 years in the German car parts business, and I'd say the car looks well taken care of; as long as you never have to replace anything or buy any parts, you should enjoy it.

The 924/944 is a whole different game than any domestic vehicle when it comes to availability and cost. The fact that this one is a 'gray market' vehicle may make a stateside parts hunt more difficult as well, as it may have a lot of parts that we didn't get on cars sold here.

Edited by VW Dave

Donno what you are trading for it, but it's a $2500-$5000 car. It's basically a first year econo 944 and they have all kinds of problems, however this on seems like it was taken care of at least. Being "gray market" it a little bit better car than we got state side, but the 924/944 didn't really get sorted out til the 968. However, I bet there'd be some Porsche club racer that would like to get their hands on it. If it doesn't have all the Porsche updates it could be several thousands of dollars to update and maintain.

It was one of the most underdeveloped premature Porsche dumped into the market. They got better over time.

Edited by CAL

You basically have all the people to get the right input from, I would have said the same. I myself was looking for one but thanks to a few on here, it might be awhile, with these you really have to find a good one because if you don't, they will nickel and dime you to death more then they already do. :lol:

This ones seems very nice, and like Chris said, not the first thing you think of when you hear Porsche, but they are fun and gotten better throughout the years, like most German cars, the last years of the runs usually were the best. There is tons of racing you can compete with them.

Edited by Nick F40

You basically have all the people to get the right input from, I would have said the same. I myself was looking for one but thanks to a few on here, it might be awhile, with these you really have to find a good one because if you don't, they will nickel and dime you to death more then they already do. :lol:

This ones seems very nice, and like Chris said, not the first thing you think of when you hear Porsche, but they are fun and gotten better throughout the years, like most German cars, the last years of the runs usually were the best. There is tons of racing you can compete with them.

I could never figure that out, they finally nearly prefect the 944 with the 968 (fixed virtually everything that was wrong with the 944) and then stopped making it. :blink:

ok.. I've had 2 924's and 3 944's over about a 20 year period. They are vastly underated and reliable autos. The handling of all is vastly more balanced than most anything else made at the time.. including the other Porsches. Power was always a sore spot, but did improve along the way. In an 81 924, you will always be looking for where they hid the power. My 924's, a 77 that was one of Callaway's Turbo mules and a factory 81 turbo did have decent power.

These have been some of the most reliable cars I've owned and the one you mention sounds well taken care of. True, Porsche parts are costly and the mechanics think they have the right to charge 50% higher rates. The only one of the 5 I had major repair bills was the hopped up 77 with added turbo as this ran very hot and warped the heads a few times eventually. The factory turbo ran to 80k miles with not a hitch. Everyone told me I'd be sorry for the repair costs.. but there WERE no repairs. I ran all from about 15k to 80k miles.

You will find differences in a European version, but mainly it just more horsepower! eheh

Truthfully, you could probably find a good 944 for the same money. The 924 is the car Volkswagon wanted to make.. this was originally designed as their car before they stepped out and sold to Porsche , but the 944 IS Porsche's take on it.. it is 100% Porsche design and don''t let anyone tell you any different. The 924 is 100% Porsche engineering and does show it, bu tthey were saddled with Audi engine and bits and made it work wonderfully.

81 is sure getting up in years, but if this is bought with the same philosophy as any other 30 year old car it is a great vehicle.

New steering column????? :lol:

How in the world does a steering column need replacement? Unless the car has been in a wreck...

I vaguely remember a steering column recall or service bulletin.

hey thanks for all the inpus that you guys have givin me... you all seem to know alot about your porsche's... unlike me i know nothing about them, except they are expensive... im still talking to the guy i have not drivin it yet so i dont know how its runs or anything but will keep you guys posted thanks again

I used to own a 928S turbo sport before and it never gave me problems. Im not to sure about that model. but mine had over 200k. I guess if it was well maintained and it look's like it was, it should be a good deal.

I can't help you out on Porsches, but I was a soldier in Germany and looked into bringing back my Mercedes-Benz 190E. It would have been a nightmare. All kinds of parts to replace Euro-spec with US-spec, then a costly DOT inspection...which it might fail after all that work. This was 1999. The car was an '86. For the price of all the parts, labor, and inspection, I could save money buying a US-spec car when I got home. I would steer clear of grey-market cars.

Edit: I just looked at the pics again. That photo in front of a barracks is fairly recent. I can not imagine a car with that much depreciation being worth bringing back. Something is fishy here.

Edited by LDO

I can't help you out on Porsches, but I was a soldier in Germany and looked into bringing back my Mercedes-Benz 190E. It would have been a nightmare. All kinds of parts to replace Euro-spec with US-spec, then a costly DOT inspection...which it might fail after all that work. This was 1999. The car was an '86. For the price of all the parts, labor, and inspection, I could save money buying a US-spec car when I got home. I would steer clear of grey-market cars.

Edit: I just looked at the pics again. That photo in front of a barracks is fairly recent. I can not imagine a car with that much depreciation being worth bringing back. Something is fishy here.

Well that was the beauty of a Gray Market car. It was built to pass US specs but had some of the euro performace gains.

But it would have had to been a Gray Market car. If it's not a Gray Market car you're wasting your time with it in this country unless you are going to race it. Your Merc didn't sould like a Gray Market car, and they were most limited to special performace cars.

We got a couple new Gray Market 930s.

... If it's not a Gray Market car you're wasting your time with it in this country unless you are going to race it. Your Merc didn't sould like a Gray Market car,...

You're right. My Mercedes was not grey-market. The Porsche in the OP is not, either. Both are Euro-spec cars. One was brought to the US, one stayed home. I would avoid that Porsche like the plague.

You're right. My Mercedes was not grey-market. The Porsche in the OP is not, either. Both are Euro-spec cars. One was brought to the US, one stayed home. I would avoid that Porsche like the plague.

He claims to have it titled in ohio.