Model Cars Magazine Forum

White Letter Tires

11 minutes ago, bill-e-boy said:

When did the white letter tires first appear. I am building a 68 Charger and want to use white letter tires and mags as a day two car.

From Wikipedia:

Mickey Thompson claims the first raised white letter tires in 1970,[7] but many manufacturers put out similar raised white letter tires in the late 1960s and early 1970s, including Goodyear[8] and Firestone.[9]

Steve

I just checked some old Hot Rod Magazines.

Earliest ad I found [with a quick look] was for Firestone with the upside down lettering like in some AMT kits in an August '68 issue.

Also see an ad for Goodyears in mid '69. 

The brochures for '68 Shelby Mustangs also show them wearing Goodyear white letter tires so they were available in at least late '68.

Vintage 1968 Ford Shelby Mustang couleur originale annonce F023 | eBay

8 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

Thanks Steven and Steve for pointing the way. Went looking but could not find anything definitive until Gerrys post. Many thanks Gerry - is that you and yours? Bet you wished you still had it

Yes.  Was stolen and totaled by the thief.  About 1.5 years after this pic.  Wound up replacing with a 70 1/2 Z/28

• Sad 1