Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bandai 1/16 scale Ford GT40

I'm not getting much over on the "kit review" thread, and there's nothing built or even mocked-up online that I've been able to find, so...

Anybody have any more insight into this kit?

I'd kinda like a 1/16 GT40 to keep my Miura and C111 company, but I don't want to have to get into a lot of re-sculpting of the body to correct proportions.

From what I can tell from looking at the sprues online, the wheels are entirely wrong, but that's not a deal breaker.

How are the lines? Does the body look right, or is it another badly misshapen lump?

Bill...here are 4 shots of the completed model out of my collection. This kit was done sometime in the late 70's early 80's.  My goal then was to do a street version of the car. My focus was on the working components of which there are many. Like the door latches really work.  And yes, the wheels and tires are really horrible. This has sat at the back of my case forever as I was never really happy with the results.  But because it was built mostly box stock it should give you a good idea of what you are asking for.  I have left some additional comments in the picture captions. If I can be of further assistence you need only ask.

DSC08256.JPG.59dcda5ba8f74a98ae8e5a14a583e9ab.JPG

The lines on  the body are not too bad however you be the judge. If I recall the box art was way better than the kit. Still have it somwhere. 

DSC08257.JPG.503e64e6354a308081dd47dd9a57339e.JPG

Interior , particularly seats, could probably use some help. Never liked the way the steering wheel  looked either. 

DSC08260.JPG.2668881da3f54286b14d8f541ffe9a7d.JPG

One thing I would definetly do something about is the fit of all the body panels.  Doors in particular.  I made some metal clips to hold the body down, a necessity back then.  Didn't want to take them out for pictures but can if you want.  Everything opens on this kit.

DSC08262.JPG.6f63bd2f9ecd864428041e00e1c4ca6b.JPG

Engine from here looks OK but I think this kit was motorized as was typical of Japanese kits then.  I mad the suspension work on this kit because it was what I lioked to do then. (still do to some extent now)  So the car sits a little lower than normal. Tires were hollow rubber thingies and may have collapsed a little too. I have since learned to fill them with urethane foam.  Hope all this helps you. Would like to see what you do with this kit.

3 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Bill...here are 4 shots of the completed model out of my collection...

DSC08260.JPG.2668881da3f54286b14d8f541ffe9a7d.JPG

Thank you sir! Exactly what I needed. The shape doesn't look too bad in profile. I might give one a go, as it's apparently the only game in town in 1/16, but then again...

We'll see. Again, THANK YOU. :D

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 6:13 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Thank you sir! Exactly what I needed. The shape doesn't look too bad in profile. I might give one a go, as it's apparently the only game in town in 1/16, but then again...

We'll see. Again, THANK YOU. :D

Thanks for posting Rich.  I think this is the first one I have seen built.  It looks like the IMC GT40 kit only larger with the same fitment issues of all the openings panels.

• Like 1