Model Cars Magazine Forum

CHARCOAL Paint Which 'Matches' Dodge 'M6X9' ?

Tamiya gunmetal is a metallic paint. I would suggest maybe Tamiya XF-85 rubber black? Or maybe even the XF-84 dark iron. It has a slight brownish tinge in my eye though. Here is a sample of the blacks I have and the gun metals and greys.

IMG_9039.jpeg

IMG_9041.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Tamiya gunmetal is a metallic paint. I would suggest maybe Tamiya XF-85 rubber black? Or maybe even the XF-84 dark iron. It has a slight brownish tinge in my eye though. Here is a sample of the blacks I have and the gun metals and greys.

Thank you for your response and presentation. 

The metallic content is of no matter to me (within reason, of course). 

I have a bottle of Gunze Burnt Iron ( I use it on exhaust manifolds primarily ) , but it's dark. 

I use Rubber : Black on hoses and belts ; rubber mats in police/fleet vehicles, too. 

Thanks again ! I'll look into the XF-84 .

I have used metallics for interiors multiple times. One of my favourites was Testors' discontinued jet exhaust metalizer covered with semi gloss for a nice "not quite black" interior tone.

If the 2 tone vinyl is what you are going for, Tamiya TS aerosol light + dark gunmetal might do the trick. Dusting on the color coats from a distance will probably be best. Hit them with semi-gloss lacquer afterwards and it will tone down the metallics for a more in-scale vinyl look.

Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 12.06.52 PM.png

• Thanks 1