Model Cars Magazine Forum

Word to the wise

Erock

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

Never assume your finger is in the clear when using an XActo knife! I just shaved some skin off my pointer finger the other day while holding a steel ruler.

I have a decent cut on the back of my left index finger from a razor saw mishap yesterday. It has stopped bleeding.

1 hour ago, bobss396 said:

I have a decent cut on the back of my left index finger from a razor saw mishap yesterday. It has stopped bleeding.

Yup.  I’ve got a scar on my right hand pinky finger I’ve had for about 40 years from one of the old Testors blades when I was a kid.

Going the opposite direction from drinking alcohol while modeling, don’t drink caffeine either.  I shake bad enough without it.  Give me some coffee and a fine brush for detailing?  My builds start looking like when I was seven years old again!😜

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

Yup.  I’ve got a scar on my right hand pinky finger I’ve had for about 40 years from one of the old Testors blades when I was a kid.

Going the opposite direction from drinking alcohol while modeling, don’t drink caffeine either.  I shake bad enough without it.  Give me some coffee and a fine brush for detailing?  My builds start looking like when I was seven years old again!😜

I also have a scar from super glue and kicker. I dripped a big glob on my finger and didn't notice it until I sprayed some kicker on a part and it activated the glob on my finger. I got a pea sized blister out of it that turned into a scar.

By far the worst blade mishap was when my brother, age 11 then, was cutting some hobby wood using a big Xacto blade in the large holder. He was making the cut along a metal yardstick and the blade came out of the cut. Right up his left thumb, cut the nail like butter and came up close to the wrist. Deep... it took a few seconds for it to bleed... and bleed it did. I got some paper towels and luckily my dad was home, it was Saturday. My mom was at work. Dad took him to the ER... he was back a few hours and 10 stitches later. I stayed behind and mopped up the mess.

And never hold something in the palm of your hand while drilling.

I got in a hurry once and used my hand instead of the vise.

When the drill bit broke through the part, I couldn't stop it from drilling into my open palm.

After backing the bit out with a plug of meat and bone chips attached, I've never done that particular stupid thing again.

Cool stigmata though.   ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

At one of my old jobs a coworker came into the office holding his bloody left hand and when asked what was wrong he replied through gritted teeth  "number two all the way through".  That phrase was a running joke for years afterward. He wasn't seriously injured.

Edited by oldscool