Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decanting automotive primer

There are several techniques. My favorite is after letting the can sit awhile slowly poke a small hole in the side where the can part meets the top. Slow and easy is the key here. My favorite tool is an ice pick. These cans are not much thicker than a soda can. When the gas starts escaping let it sit till all is exhausted. I then take a box cutter and remove the top. When it’s off slowly stir the paint and bubbles will come out. After those bubbles quit let it rest a while. I leave it over night. Then stir again and more bubbles will escape. Now you’re ready to pour it into the jar you’ll be keeping it in. Good luck

• Like 2

Shake the primer well. Spray it through a large straw into a container of some sort (I use plastic shot glasses). Then use a pipette to transfer it to your airbrush cup. I don’t even let it gas out any more because it wouldn’t need it if sprayed directly from the can onto the model. It DOES need to gas out however if you are going to store it in a secondary closed container.

I like this method, as the un-decanted paint is still stored safely in the best possible container….the original can. Once there is not enough pressure to spray any more paint, I might puncture the can to drain the remaining drops.

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 3