Model Cars Magazine Forum

KITT as a 2024 dodge charger daytona ev

michelle

this is a 3d printed 1/24 scale 2024 dodge charger Daytona srt banshee ev that I made into another modern KITT from Knight Rider I did not use the wheels for this model but a extra set of the 3d printed wheels for the modernized KITT model I painted the body rust-oleum 2x gloss black and hand painted the scanner and rims and tires I used a silver sharpie to do the mirrors and the led head light bar

20231128_010949.jpeg

20231128_010957.jpeg

20231128_011003.jpeg

20231128_011019.jpeg

20231128_011038.jpeg

20231128_011051.jpeg

20231128_011130.jpeg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Cool! I love the newer Chargers. Looks good.

This charger ev is one of 2 evs I actually love everything about the other is not coming out till 2025 and most likely will not be released in North America it is the opel manta gse elektomod which is based on the design and look of the 1970  opel manta a 

3 hours ago, Matt87 said:

Oh okay. I guess i could not tell. 3d printing has really changed things with model building. I have bought after market 3d printed carburetors and the detail is amazing.

Most people who sell 3D printed conversion parts use uv cure liquid resin 3D printers but all the 3D printed models I got recently were printed on filament feed 3D printers so they are a lot more rough and harder to clean and smooth cause of the pla filament is like impact resistant plastic it is harder and thicker then other plastics it has to be heated up close to the melting point to even start to make it easy to clean of all the supports and little hairs and stubble that can be all over the parts with snippers and then use dremal burnishing tools to finish cleaning as best as can and normal sanding is out of the question you have to use either a small electric belt sander or dremal with sanding drum to smooth out the rest without looking any surface and then there are the cracks and gaps that may or  may not be present between the retraction lines of the print layers which will need to be filled in with putty 

Edited by michelle

I know with resin body ive dealt with before and resin aftermarket parts i was able to sand them down with regular paper

Yeah that is cause the resin is smoother finish that does not have as pronounced retraction lines on the layers and the resin does not bead up and does not loose a lot of detail which happens with the filament printers and the way the two types of printers prints are different also the resin ones lowere the metal print plate into the vat of resin that sits above the print screen while the filament ones use a horizontal sliding print head   above a heated print plate and as each layer is made the horizontal arm the print head slide back and forth on raises higher on the gantry 

Edited by michelle

Much more prep work. Sort of like resin parts but more so.

this model was a part of 3 orders  I made months ago in April and may  and June  and it took my friend this long to print 4 large Star Trek ship kits and 3 1/1 scale Star Trek prop replica kits and 14 1/24 scale car models and he forgot to print 4 of the cars  and forgot to print a section of one of the 4 large Star Trek ships from my order and forgot to make and print the decals for the cars and the Star Trek ships the reason it took him so long was all 2 of his filament printers kept breaking down in various ways as he printed models of my order and it took him 2 months to get just one fully fixed and took 3 months to get the other 2 as they kept breaking down and he had to keep ordering parts for them 

Edited by michelle

Until now i did not have much knowledge of that at all. Were the models expensive? Im a fan of the original Star Trek. To me it is the best series of any of the Star Treks. I have thought about building the Polar Lights Enterprise model. But im really only interested in building cars and trucks.

15 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Until now i did not have much knowledge of that at all. Were the models expensive? Im a fan of the original Star Trek. To me it is the best series of any of the Star Treks. I have thought about building the Polar Lights Enterprise model. But im really only interested in building cars and trucks.

my friend cuts the prices in half for me 
i do not like the original star trek or much of tng  each for different reasons  the original cause it looks horrible and cheep and cheesy and super dated  and unfuturistic 
and for tng there was to much all talk no do i only liked the episodes with  the q  character in it and the borg episodes and  these episodes yesterdays enterprise and the next phase,and timescape and  genesis,masks the pegasus and parallels 
i much prefer the new trek shows discovery,strange new worlds,picard,lower decks and i can't wait for the discovery spin off starfleet academy and the section 31 made for streaming movie with michelle yeoh as the lead  
though i do like ds9 and voyager and enterprise also 

Cool. I know the one resin build i have done it was 40$ for the body. But its just regular resin body.  Ya it is very dated. But i like alot of older shows in general so it does not bother me. And like many older shows it is cheesy. But back then it was very futuristic but now of course with what is available today it looks very unfuturistic.

36 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Cool. I know the one resin build i have done it was 40$ for the body. But its just regular resin body.  Ya it is very dated. But i like alot of older shows in general so it does not bother me. And like many older shows it is cheesy. But back then it was very futuristic but now of course with what is available today it looks very unfuturistic.

I build a lot of different models not just cars I also build sci-fi ships and build 1/1 scale Star Trek and Star Wars prop replicas for cosplays at comic cons 
I also build military models and civialian boats and I build dioramas I have even made custom action figures via kitbashing figures and modifying them and repainting them 

I also like to draw

Edited by michelle