Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod TV model car coverage

Hi Guys,

My friend John Scudder just called me and he said the Producer of Hot Rod TV returned his call about the interviews he and I did and the contest coverage of the Grand National show.

He was not able to talk to the producer to find out if we were on or the contest was on, but we do know the episode that may air us is on 3/14.

We looked up the schedule and Hot Rod TV is on at 6:30am, 8:00am, and 8:30am. We have no idea which one is the right one.

A back ground note, John and I were going to see the Black Widow pickup and I saw the Hot Rod TV guys there so I walked up and told them I had just finished restoring the original model from the 60's. The wanted to interview me. I stuttered and fumbled so I mentioned my friend knew more about models than I did, so the interviewed John.

I then started to press them to go see the model car contest and finally they agreed.

They showed up and John and I again spoke with them and we got them to talk to Flynn about his highly detailed 32.

So hopefully the model car part will air and we can get more people interested in plastic.

I am crossing my fingers.

DJ

Thanks for the heads up on this. I just watched it . That was cool to see a model turned in to a real one. I bet Monogram and Revel wish they had something to do with it? The model companies don't care about car shows and model contest anymore. If they did they just might sell more models?

I also saw the HOT ROD TV episode today. WOW!

They featured a story of the construction of a 1:1 street rod that duplicated the 1960 Monogram Black Widow T Street Rod model kit!

They spent a lot of time talking about model car building, showed kids in a hobby shop, someone's huge stash of unbuilt kits, and "outed" many adults as car modelers ... including the owner who commissioned Troy Ladd of Hollywood Hot Rods to build the 1:1 car for the Grand National Roadster show.

The owner insisted they build the 1:1 JUST LIKE the model kit. So, they used one of his built-ups, an unbuilt kit, and the kit's instruction sheet! They reverse-engineered the full size street rod from the kit's parts and replicated every detail, even down to the pinstriping and the six-legged spider on the door decal!

The show was awesome, and included footage of the model car show with our friends Dwayne Jones, John Teresi, John Scudder, Mike Flynn and a couple of others.

After the build-up of the 1:1 car was covered, they showed it on display at the show. The Hollywood Hot Rods gang and the owner displayed it in a display that replicated the original kit's Monogram store display .... 24 times bigger!

And, they showed all the adults who came up, lit up like kids, and talked about how they built the model when it was new ... how excited they were about seeing someone build a 1:1 replica of the kit ... 39 years later!

It was a great TV show and it was fabulous exposure for the hobby as well. Thanks, DJ for interjecting because the interviews with you and the guys really added to the show and no doubt caused them to ramp up the modelling angle. Good job!!

Hope the rest of you guys didn't miss it!

PS: Gregg will be thrilled to see that one of his camera-shoot cards was clearly shown in a table shot of the contest.

Well now you have seen my beat up mug and my friends John Terisi (in the beret) John Scudder (with the scruffy beard) Mike Flynn (with the 32) Most of the table pictures were my cars.

If you saw the last Model Cars mag around 20 to 30 cars in there were from this group.

I was really hoping to get some coverage for models and this can't hurt.

When I saw the camera the first thought I had was that this was our chance to bring the hobby to a lot of people that have forgotten us. This was KEWL!

The picts of all the models were from a vendor selling them at the show.

I have now been in the news paper, on the cover of magazines, on radio and now on TV. I hope this does not mean my 15 minutes of fame is done LOL.

I think the show will re-air at 4am sunday. Set your recorders. Just wear foggy glasses when our ugly mugs come on LOL.

DJ,

Thanks for the heads up!! That episode was fantastic. I caught the MCM photo card too. It was great to see the beautiful builds featured on a Nat'l TV show. That was a nice atta boy for our hobby. I sure hope a lot of people saw that. It should show the manufactures that we are still out here building, and from a builders standpoint, the model hobby is as stong as ever. WooooHoooo!!! :DB)

Well now you have seen my beat up mug and my friends John Terisi (in the beret) John Scudder (with the scruffy beard) Mike Flynn (with the 32) Most of the table pictures were my cars.

If you saw the last Model Cars mag around 20 to 30 cars in there were from this group.

I was really hoping to get some coverage for models and this can't hurt.

When I saw the camera the first thought I had was that this was our chance to bring the hobby to a lot of people that have forgotten us. This was KEWL!

The picts of all the models were from a vendor selling them at the show.

I have now been in the news paper, on the cover of magazines, on radio and now on TV. I hope this does not mean my 15 minutes of fame is done LOL.

I think the show will re-air at 4am sunday. Set your recorders. Just wear foggy glasses when our ugly mugs come on LOL.

After seeing this I now realize that we all are UGLY!!!!!!!! B):D

Who you calling ugly?????

I wish I owned or watched TV.

Anyone know if there is an online version of this?

Or anyone can send a link?

Time to grab the ball and start running!!!!!

Yeah, baby!!!!

What a great show that was.

So last minute

So much fun

Got to meet Mr Pure Hell, Rich Guasco, gave Norm Grabowski some h e double L, brought Brad Leisure on board, picked up a fantastic print from Dave Kurz, bought a ton of t-shirts (Gregg spent money!!!!), and had a blast!!!!!