Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 1962-1969 Dodge Pick up from Jo-han OLDIES USA LLC

thatz4u

I've seen photos of two of these built up, and while they are both nice builds done by a clearly talented builder, the front ends look off. Like the grille is angled a little too far back and the hood is a bit "sharp" at the forward edge. And don't get me started on that side trim that looks about 4" tall in scale. And that's just what bothers me enough to comment. I'm fine with some proportional weirdness but this is distracting. The old Modelhaus kits were far from perfect but they at least looked reasonably correct... Which is all a static model really needs to do. 

The '67 version grille looks off but I can't really tell because the photos Atomic City put up on their Facebook page look like they were taken with an early 2000's burner phone. Really hard to get a good read on a product from four pixels. I mean, do they just not want people to get a good look at it? But they're so proud of it they used one as their profile picture. Low resolution and all. 😂

$120? For THIS? And $500 for what amounts to a glorified cardboard cutout of the Johan office? What are these guys smoking? Because I want some for the upcoming long weekend....

Edited by Chuck Most
  • Like 1

Hello all I want to address the so called comment of 500 dollars for a glorified cardboard cutout of the Jo-Han building. My first question is have you seen it in person? For your information Mr.Most it is all made from wood. You have no idea the time spent in building it and making it look just like the picture on the net. It’s not like some these  diorama builders who use Flimsy vinyl, or flimsy foam board. Yes it’s 500.00 dollars I have a bunch of labor time that money can’t buy. If you haven’t ever built a wood replica building then maybe you shouldn’t comment like you did. So next time check the product and facts before making a statement like you made. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

I've seen photos of two of these built up, and while they are both nice builds done by a clearly talented builder, the front ends look off. Like the grille is angled a little too far back and the hood is a bit "sharp" at the forward edge. And don't get me started on that side trim that looks about 4" tall in scale. And that's just what bothers me enough to comment. I'm fine with some proportional weirdness but this is distracting. The old Modelhaus kits were far from perfect but they at least looked reasonably correct... Which is all a static model really needs to do. 

The '67 version grille looks off but I can't really tell because the photos Atomic City put up on their Facebook page look like they were taken with an early 2000's burner phone. Really hard to get a good read on a product from four pixels. I mean, do they just not want people to get a good look at it? But they're so proud of it they used one as their profile picture. Low resolution and all. 😂

$120? For THIS? And $500 for what amounts to a glorified cardboard cutout of the Johan office? What are these guys smoking? Because I want some for the upcoming long weekend....

Well you got a response from them directly on their FB page over this...they seem a might unhappy with your opinions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 7:28 PM, Chuck Most said:

Chuck, it isn't a glorified cardboard cutout as you say....maybe you should reserve comment until you have seen it in person, I have....just sayin....👀

the price is $ 100 for the Dodge pick up not $ 120

Edited by thatz4u
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

To me the bigger issue is the price. I really don't see that many of the facades will sell at the price regardless of how well made it is. $500 will buy a lot of modeling supplies and kits. 

You'd be surprised. Several of those factory dioramas have been sold. I know the guy who builds them.

To those of you think the price is too high, I sold some of them already along with other well detailed and well build displays for around that price and less. So maybe you should check it out in person before passing judgement on the product. The builders who have purchased the stuff I build do for the reason they don’t have the tools or equipment, they want something really cool to display their builds on to show off to friends, they don’t want to waste time building a display when they can use that time building models to display on their new found display, displaying their builds for pictures to post on the internet. Yes that amount will buy a lot of model supplies I get that, but builders like cool one of a kind displays. What makes the difference if you spend 300 for a display or 300 on a model on someone’s auction page that was built by a well know builder who passed away with the money going to the widow? 

• Like 2

My point was being missed. I'm not saying there won't be any buyers or questioning the price. I'm saying that there is going to be a limited number of buyers that can afford the luxury. That is just a reality.

There are lots of threads bemoaning the high price of kits and supplies. Most builders have limited resources to spend on their hobby.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bmita said:

To those of you think the price is too high, I sold some of them already along with other well detailed and well build displays for around that price and less. So maybe you should check it out in person before passing judgement on the product. The builders who have purchased the stuff I build do for the reason they don’t have the tools or equipment, they want something really cool to display their builds on to show off to friends, they don’t want to waste time building a display when they can use that time building models to display on their new found display, displaying their builds for pictures to post on the internet. Yes that amount will buy a lot of model supplies I get that, but builders like cool one of a kind displays. What makes the difference if you spend 300 for a display or 300 on a model on someone’s auction page that was built by a well know builder who passed away with the money going to the widow? 

Presuming the displays are quality well made items, you're probably not charging enough for them given $500 works out to $12.50/hr for 40 hours of work and wouldn't take into account the materials involved.

My earlier comment - that Chuck recently quoted in his post that got all of this started - is I don't see the point of re-selling a JF resin item, even with "value added" for a nominally lower price of $100 + Shipping (which means $110-115, we're quibbling over 5 bucks) and slapping a "Jo-Han" label on it seems...weird. It's not something that was ever a Jo-Han product. I could totally see the point of offering a resin version of an actual Jo-Han kit offering, especially if it were improved with 3D printed parts. But some random truck for the funnsies tying up an old name for Nostalgia FOMO sakes? Color me unimpressed with the business model...

• Like 1

Coming soon from Jo-han OLDIES USA LLC

ATC/ Cross roads of America Series... A very limited run of the 66 Plymouth Fury conv. Comes as an unassembled resin kit, with vinyl tires. metal axles. Up top included w/ boot. Release date is to be announced when glass is done. Clear red taillamps. NO prepayment or sale list at this time. Better pics to come. Stay tuned for more info.

image.png.6233f6dfff65199c9e49d3baa896bbae.png

On 1/20/2024 at 1:52 PM, stavanzer said:

Al, any updates on these kits?

I know you have an enthusiastic audience waiting for them.

Yes they are in stock now at Atomic City Rod and Custom