Model Cars Magazine Forum

OldPhroggy says Hi.

I'm a retired welder, it was an interesting 50 years. I still have my own shop, but I'm only going to do projects for me and a few friends. I was a regular model builder when I was a kid, and got out of it when I went to work as a late teen. In the last 10 years I've collected too many kits, of course, and now I have to put up or shut up, says my wife. My collection is mostly cars and then SciFi, and planes, motorcycles, submarines, and a few figures. Being into models got me into the Fabrication side of Welding, I have stuff all over the western US. If you get to Redding Calif and tour the Sundial Bridge, a bunch of the things in the museum, and one part of the bridge are mine. That leads to my next passion, scratch building models. The first project will be the Stan Mott "Cyclops Car" from Road & Track Magazine, in the Red winged version photo. I'm a firm believer in Kit bashing. My son is going to 3D print a 1970s Fiat 124 Spider for me, and its getting a Hemi, to make it a Fiat 124 Tarantula. One of my non model projects is to build a variable size Vacuum form machine, for scratch building ideas. I've been a subscriber to Model Cars for two years and just re-sub'd for another two. The magazine is impressive, and so are the builds that are featured. I hope I can contribute eventually.

home screen cyclops .jpg

Calander shot.jpg

Cyclops2Plan.jpg

Calander shot.jpg

Edited by OldPhroggy
spelling error. again.

Welcome to the forum, David, and welcome back to the hobby. Looking forward to seeing your work. I am really digging the Stan Motts Cyclops. I loved that little thing when I was young, reading old (then current) issues of R&T. I hope we get to see your build of this amazing machine. Cheers.

edit: I hadn't thought about Cyclops for many years. Inspired by your post, I just did some googling on Stan Mott. He was quite the fellow, and I found his cartoons as entertaining as I did in the 70s. Stan Mott’s Autobiography – Dean’s Garage (deansgarage.com)

Edited by Bainford