Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is there a difference

Funny this is a post because i was actually looking at this kit myself.  These two versions are the same just different box. I believe the lighting F-150 is the same as well besides the "lightning" options.  The red version here is original release i think 91, and the 2nd box art was released in 95 with that new box. 

Edited by Dpate

6 hours ago, Dpate said:

Funny this is a post because i was actually looking at this kit myself.  These two versions are the same just different box. I believe the lighting F-150 is the same as well besides the "lightning" options.  The red version here is original release i think 91, and the 2nd box art was released in 95 with that new box. 

I built the red one as a kid and recently acquired the other one.  Upon a quick view of the co tents I figured they were the same.

These two are the same kit, released in different boxings. From memory, AMT did several F Series kits in the early 90s, releasing them in several variants. The Lightning was based on the shortbox tooling, with Lightning specific parts added. AMT also released the promo version as a snap kit. There was also a short bed flareside version. There may have been others, but that's all I can remember. The cool thing is that the parts in the kits were interchangeable with each other.

The only difference as far as I can remember is the steering wheel. The red version has the 1992-1993 steering wheel while the 1995 has the 1994-1996 steering wheel with the airbag. 

1992-1993:

image.jpeg.26c6ab7f67fe70b54e5850593e4cec40.jpeg

1994-1996:image.jpeg.4b34e465e29b7c12f3b6bf9aa4af2bc4.jpeg

Edited by av405