Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 C-10 short to long Custom Cab

I starting on another project i have always wanted to do.   This is a replica of a real truck i owned 30 years ago.   1965 C10 Custom Cab 8foot fleetside with all the custom cab options, chrome grill and bumper, factory Powerglide automatic, radio, backup lights, tach dash, 283.

I will be using 2 Revell 66 chevy SHORTBOX fleetside kits plus the amt 60 fleet and a bunch junk from the parts bins!

1965 Truck Before.jpg

• Like 1

here is the hard part.  taking 2 SHORTIES and making an 8 footer...............seamlessly.  what a pain!

the revell taillights suck so i used the back facias from the AMT 60.

It will have a stock appearing wood box floor that will all be painted body color like they did at the factory.  My real truck still had the green paint on the wood and the strips,  so i dont have to get too fussy with wood graining and painting details.

20231229_100503.jpg

• Like 1

this pic was another day of work yesterday.  Making all the side moldings from evergreen. 

I converted the cab to a small back window using sheet styrene and 1/2 round rod. and made the rear pillar mouldings  

About 2 hours just in re-scribing panel lines and body lines.  Almost ready for a heavy coat of primer-then it can sit and shrink for a couple months.

I also made box floor strips and drilled what seemed like 2 million small depressions to replicate carriage bolts(its all getting painted green so no need for super details

20231230_140430.jpg

• Like 5

Great project, coming along nicely. That was considered a "loaded pickup" back then, most were base model 6 cyl 3speeds, but most did have small back windows and longer 8' beds. The wood was actually painted all black. Very difficult to find these type of photos.

IMG_0070.jpg

Edited by leafsprings

Thanks guys,  yes i should have joined long ago.

Leafsprings,   its funny because i agree with you about the wood being painted black,  i have seen most american plants painted the wood black,  but my truck was built in canada in oshawa, and was 100% original paint, and it still had a ton of green paint on the wood( i think the truck had a cap on it for alot of its life).   I have seen other canadian built ones with evidence of body color on the wood too.   Just one of those interesting differences on a canadian build.  BTW  that is a really cool photo you posted!  is it from a dealer brochure??

On 12/31/2023 at 10:06 AM, TheBEAUMONTGURU said:

Just one of those interesting differences on a canadian build.  BTW  that is a really cool photo you posted!  is it from a dealer brochure??

That explains it. I've heard there are several differences between Canadian and American built vehicles. I've collected many truck brochures over the years, but that photo is from a "mailer". They usually have better photos than what is found in typical brochures.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 2:24 PM, TheBEAUMONTGURU said:

here is the hard part.  taking 2 SHORTIES and making an 8 footer...............seamlessly.  what a pain!

the revell taillights suck so i used the back facias from the AMT 60.

It will have a stock appearing wood box floor that will all be painted body color like they did at the factory.  My real truck still had the green paint on the wood and the strips,  so i dont have to get too fussy with wood graining and painting details.

20231229_100503.jpg

Do you happen to have measurements at all where you cut the 2 beds at all?

I cant really remember what my measurements were.  i was using a 1/24th scale ruler!  it was about 12/32nds of an inch in the back and about 3/4 inch in the front.  I used this picture one of the other forum members posted showing a original SMP longbox,  so i just made sure that my cutting would yeild these results. Sorry i cant remember who provided this pic, but thanks to whoever it was!!

760272295_66chevy.JPG.3cdc6204a84a862c7be5e231ad9e625f.jpg

The long beds had a 127" WB; short beds 115", so you have to add a scale 12" in front of the wheels i.e. 0.48".   Then 0.24" behind the wheels to make it up to a 96" bed.  Also, note that the long bed was shared by the C20, so had slightly larger wheel openings than the short fleetside, which was only available as a C10.

Posted (edited)

I agree with you on the grill,  the Revell one sucks.   im looking at the headlights on the tree and they look like they are gigantic!!

im going to see what i can do to modify it.  but it still has to stay chrome

Edited by TheBEAUMONTGURU
added more detail

• 3 weeks later...

Shot some paint on it yesterday.  I used 20 year old Dupont Centari from my real truck.  GM paint code 503 Light Green.  I really like spraying centari.  its not available anymore, but i shot lots of real cars with it and got very good results.  Im very happy with how it went on the model.  Im going to maybe cut down a few dust spots, but otherwise its super flat.    Ive never used an airbrush.  this is a cheap automotive touch up gun with a 0.8mm tip.  its all i've ever used.

20240120_084948.jpg

20240120_085029.jpg

• Like 6