Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fiberfab Avenger GT-12

Mark, you've got me sitting here laughing at myself wondering "what center support strap"? With what little I've done, fitting the lower front piece and making a front spoiler template, I apparently never paid any attention to the rear glass. I'm glad I have some (Metalglo) metal polish and lots of wet sandpaper to remove mine with. Yours is looking good and moving along nicely.

The wipers, mirrors and door handles are installed.  (The door handles came in the kit.)

PJoMq6J.jpg

The Fiberfab badges that go behind the door windows still need to be painted and attached.  There is supposed to be one for the hood, but it's a short shot in my kit and I like the cleaner look without it. 

• Like 5

Hi Mark;

Great job! Now, you have inspired me to tell you my story (don't worry, here's the short version).

In 1970, as a 17 yr. Old High School Junior, I was looking for a project to spend my vast summer lawn mowing fortune on and decided to build a 1:1 Fiberfab Avenger GT12. I ordered the deluxe kit (including the glass and frame stiffeners) from the back of a Popular Mechanics magazine. 

About six weeks later, a semi pulled up in front of my parent's house and dropped off a giant, loosely constructed wooden crate. Nearly three years later, it was legal and became my daily driver. My parent's garage would never be the same again.

Flash forward more than 40 years. After retiring, I wondered what had ever happened to my old car and jumped on the internet, hoping to find my car. As you know, kit-car kits are just a starting point, allowing owners/fabricators to add anything and everything to make it their own. On mine, I cut out sunroofs over the seats, added a '70 Dodge Challenger fuel cap, AMC Javelin door handles, a scoop over the Holly 2 brl Bug Spray carburetor, megaphone exhaust headers, and a bunch of other stuff. I was sure could identify "my" car amongst the dozens for sale. 

Sadly, I had no luck, but I did stumble across vintage IMC kits. At first, I was in shock! I had no idea, nor could I believe, any model company would invest in such a rare, low-numbers, quirky-scale model. But boy, was I excited they did and snapped up four kits and set out to recreate "my" car on a 1/25 scale. 

This is as close to what my high school girlfriend dubbed the Green Bean as my limited modeling skills would allow. I had never opened the doors on a model before.

Best regards,

Steve

Image 11.jpg

IMG_5133.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_7923.jpeg

IMG_7894.jpeg

IMG_7948.jpeg

• Like 3

Steve, cool car & story. I do have a question for you. Did you ever happen to check the gas mileage on the Avenger? I'm asking because a cousin (who was both busy & "social", out driving around a lot) bought one (VW powered) and said she routinely drove it for a full month, between refueling stops.

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

Steve, cool car & story. I do have a question for you. Did you ever happen to check the gas mileage on the Avenger? I'm asking because a cousin (who was both busy & "social", out driving around a lot) bought one (VW powered) and said she routinely drove it for a full month, between refueling stops.

Well, he sure could have. Curb weight was less than 1,500 lbs., and I was getting somewhere between 18-30 mpg. That's a lot of cruising on 10-gal refills. Although, at less than .50 a gallon, we didn't really care. I also had a 1965 VW Bus at the time as a stable mate as my daily driver. I used it as a parts collector workhorse for my project and turned it into a surf mobile. Lots of stories there! See below. I ran out of gas twice in one day because I only put in a quarter's worth. Kids!

IMG_3479.JPG

IMG_3304.jpeg

IMG_3478.jpeg

IMG_3236.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 4:52 PM, Lone Wolf said:

This IMC Avenger model has been out of production for a long time. If you're able and willing to spend the money for one, they occasionally show up on Ebay, but not very often these days.

I bought four IMC kits online about five years ago. I paid between $39-$55 each. I was only able to salvage enough to build two accurate examples of my 1:1 Avenger GT12 because of damage and neglect. One box only contained an unusable glue-bomb body and a few parts. Tires in two of the other three kits had melted into the rear windows, and one body was severely warped. It was a good test! 

Image 11.jpg

IMG_5106.JPG

IMG_5164.JPG

Steve,

Wow, that's too bad on the damages, but the prices were reasonable for complete usable kits. I got my pair of Avenger kits in that general time period, in that same price range. If you aren't aware of it, model window glass is fairly easy to repair, which if you have enough parts otherwise to build another car, might help you? Let us know, we can get the repair information to you easy enough.

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

Steve,

Wow, that's too bad on the damages, but the prices were reasonable for complete usable kits. I got my pair of Avenger kits in that general time period, in that same price range. If you aren't aware of it, model window glass is fairly easy to repair, which, if you have enough parts otherwise to build another car, might help you. Let us know, we can get the repair information to you easy enough.

The Mustang's rear glass was flat enough to be replaced by a stiff piece of Lexan (or some other plastic material) from a food container package. The glue bomb body was beyond repair. Thanks for the offer, and I will be sure to reach out if I get stumped on another project. All the best

• Like 1