Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shane van Gisbergen Camaro.

Albert Moore

Working on the Shane van Gisbergen Camaro that won the inaugural NASCAR Chicago street course race.

53446282206_2d33a42be8_b.jpg

The process starts with converting the body to replicate the modifications unique to that race.

Modifications made to the body include relocating the fuel filler from the driver's side to the passenger side. I removed the kit fuel filler by dragging a #11 Exacto knife blade around the circumference of the filler collar. A section of aluminum tubing was used to make a replacement collar. The spot for the filler was drilled out on the right rear fender and the fuel filler glued in place.

53446670255_1f892db1aa_b.jpg

53446575554_def2938b43_b.jpg

The exhaust openings were relocated further back on the rocker panels to just below the B-pillars. The sections removed to make space for the exhaust openings were used to fill the space where the openings were originally molded to the rocker panels. Styrene strip was used to fill the gaps. I'll use sheet styrene to replicate the blanking plates used to cap off the spot where the exhaust openings were originally molded.

53446392848_00874e685b_b.jpg

53446670190_644c440992_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Albert

Edited by Albert Moore
faulty photo link
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Albert, so glad you're doing this Trackhouse car and good eye realizing for some reason the exhausts were further back on it. Where did you find decals for it?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the kudos.  Salvinos JR released a boxing of the SVG/Trackhouse Camaro during the Autumn of 2023, which comes with a lovely set of Powerslide decals (which are sold separately at Mike's Decal- https://www.mikesdecals.com/shane-van-gisbergen-2023-chicago-winner-powerslide-p-7201.html ).  From what I understand, the Cup teams ran mufflers on the street course cars, which required the exhaust openings be relocated further back on the rocker panels.

Cheers,

Albert

33 minutes ago, Albert Moore said:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the kudos.  Salvinos JR released a boxing of the SVG/Trackhouse Camaro during the Autumn of 2023, which comes with a lovely set of Powerslide decals (which are sold separately at Mike's Decal- https://www.mikesdecals.com/shane-van-gisbergen-2023-chicago-winner-powerslide-p-7201.html ).  From what I understand, the Cup teams ran mufflers on the street course cars, which required the exhaust openings be relocated further back on the rocker panels.

Cheers,

Albert

Thanks, Albert. I appreciate the info and looking forward to more of your build and the ultimate completion.

• Like 1

I remember that race being a kind of a dog, with the rain (flood) delays, multiple stoppages and people getting wedged under the barriers…EXCEPT for SVG’s performance.  I was on the edge of my seat at the final restart, and that’s rarely the case.

Great start so far - I’ll be following!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...