Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does Anyone Have Measurements For Shortbed Conversions?

Maybe it was in a magazine, or on another site, or maybe I'm just  getting senile, but it seems like there used to be an article with the measurements to convert the 70s AMT F-150, the Monogram 1988 F-250, and the 70 Chevy truck beds to shortbed size. It had the amount to cut out and a diagram showing the best places to cut. Does anyone remember seeing something like this? I tried searching here, but had no luck.

The AMT 70s Ford truck is really difficult because the rear wheel wells are moved back from the normal pickup location because the kit is a Camper Special model. Even if you cut the right amount off the front of the bed the rear wheels will be too far back. The rear wheel arches are also the wrong shape for a standard pickup bed. To make a good short bed or even a correct standard long bed you need to rob the rear wheel arches from the Bronco kit.

The wheelbase of the AMT F-350 Camper Special is a scale 8" longer than that of a regular F-100 pickup.  

As for the short bed version of any pickup versus the long bed, the thing to do there is get data on both (brochure, online) and just figure out the differences.

I was able to take some measurements of the available 90s Ford beds this morning. Making a 1/24 short bed would be pretty easy since Ford adds all the additional length at the cab end of the bed. I measured the AMT long and short beds and the Monogram long bed and was able to determine that if you shorten the 1/24 long bed 17mm to a length of 91mm it will make a correct short bed. Here is a pic of the AMT long and short beds together. 

20240109_091651.thumb.jpg.e68e0e2b77ae1e86c60bf415a563f2bb.jpg

• Like 1

Chevy splits the extra length and adds about a foor on the cab end of the bed and six inches on the tailgate end. This makes converting a Chevy bed a lot more work. When I made a long bed for the AMT Fall Guy truck I used the 72 bed as a reference because the beds interchange on the real trucks. If you want a 72 short bed just reverse the process and cut it down to match the Fall Guy bed. Honestly,  at this point I'd rather wait on the Moebius list that's coming in '25. Here are some comparative pics of Chevy beds.

20240109_094002.jpg.17a37906453ecdcda97f27b073a9ae9a.jpg20240109_094246.jpg.b6e4d1e71dad79b3b54fd99d81191ead.jpg20240109_094412.jpg.f370b43a8bfc6ccf251a9310d3795652.jpg