Model Cars Magazine Forum

78 Chevy Silverado Plumbing truck tribute

Not sure starting another project, with four stalled projects on the bench, is a good idea. But... planning them is my favorite part. 

This build is a tribute to my dad's Plumbing truck, from the early 80s. I hope to get this started this year.

It's got a few unique elements to it that should be a challenge. Here is my build sheet thus far.

EDIT: updated build sheet with new plan of attack. 1/23/24

Build sheet.jpg

Edited by Vince311
revised build plan
  • Like 2

Nice tribute and looks like you are on your way to getting it done. Just a note on that donor kit- it is 4wd and has the different front end (81-87 model years). Check with Kris Morgan at Morgan Auto Detail, he has resin 78 Chevy longbed kit that also includes the bench seat. Has the side trim molded in and the grille. You will need a donor chassis and the Deserter kit can be elongated or you can buy a long bed frame from Texas 3D Customs. You will still need to fabricate a front suspension and depending on how accurate you want it to be, there might be some 3D printed options.

• Like 1

Yea, what Mike said.  , ,PLUS , , That e-bay grille is from a 1'24 Monogram kit. It won't fit the MPC pickup. Wrong scale and wrong front fenders and hood for it.

It's be easier to just get the Revell/Monogram 1/24 scale kit to start with.

image.png.4d4960a2df9dc8995ca0e74585006be8.png

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Nice tribute and looks like you are on your way to getting it done. Just a note on that donor kit- it is 4wd and has the different front end (81-87 model years). Check with Kris Morgan at Morgan Auto Detail, he has resin 78 Chevy longbed kit that also includes the bench seat. Has the side trim molded in and the grille. You will need a donor chassis and the Deserter kit can be elongated or you can buy a long bed frame from Texas 3D Customs. You will still need to fabricate a front suspension and depending on how accurate you want it to be, there might be some 3D printed options.

@mikemodeler @Can-Con

thanks for the review!

Yes, aware of the conversion from 4wd to 2wd. I've seen at least one 3D kit that facilitates this. Somewhere I read about a guy using a NASCAR chassis as well. ??

The long bed conversion seems to be the real challenge. The Mad Modeling (Morgan Auto Detail) bed is designed for a 1:25 kit. Thus the Deserter kit.  I originally wanted to use the GMC snow plow or Big Game truck, as those have the proper front clip. But alas, both are 1:24...and won't work with the MAD bed. hmmm.   

Then there is this route.

Edited by Vince311

I would contact Kris at MAD, here are pictures of his 78 Chevy Pickup resin kit, mastered by Tom Ellifritt. You get the side trim, bench seat, correct grille and bumper, filler panel below the grille and a cab and bed that look like kit pieces, not clunky resin casting. I bought one from him and IIRC it was $70 plus shipping. It might be more but the Deserter kit will get you the tail lights, rear bumper, glass, drive train. You will either have to extend the kit frame or find one and of course the front 2wd suspension.

This kit is NOT on his website, so email him or contact him here on the forum.

IMG_9748.jpg

IMG_9749.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

I would contact Kris at MAD, here are pictures of his 78 Chevy Pickup resin kit, mastered by Tom Ellifritt. You get the side trim, bench seat, correct grille and bumper, filler panel below the grille and a cab and bed that look like kit pieces, not clunky resin casting. I bought one from him and IIRC it was $70 plus shipping. It might be more but the Deserter kit will get you the tail lights, rear bumper, glass, drive train. You will either have to extend the kit frame or find one and of course the front 2wd suspension.

This kit is NOT on his website, so email him or contact him here on the forum.

IMG_9748.jpg

IMG_9749.jpg

whoa buddy! indeed...that is sweet! I'll reach out to him. cheers!

• Like 2