Model Cars Magazine Forum

what is the weird shaped air cleaner in all the current mpc 69 charger kits

Ihave  noticed that that part is not in the instructions for the standard charger rt  and the 500 and daytona  nor any photos of a actual  examples of that air cleaner on real cars 
what is it suppose to be is it a custom one or is it a racing one  or left over from some other dodge or plymouth kit that used the same engine parts 

20240114_203053.jpg

20240114_203104.jpg

10 minutes ago, michelle said:

Ihave  noticed that that part is not in the instructions for the standard charger rt  and the 500 and daytona  nor any photos of a actual  examples of that air cleaner on real cars 
what is it suppose to be is it a custom one or is it a racing one  or left over from some other dodge or plymouth kit that used the same engine parts 

20240114_203053.jpg

20240114_203104.jpg

Thats a NASCAR air cleaner,,it pulled in air from the cowl

7 minutes ago, Scott Eriksen said:

Thats a NASCAR air cleaner,,it pulled in air from the cowl

it does not look like the racing one from the revell 69 daytona kit 
and how is this suppose to be mounted on the stock hemi engine from the mpc kit 

2 minutes ago, michelle said:

it does not look like the racing one from the revell 69 daytona kit 
and how is this suppose to be mounted on the stock hemi engine from the mpc kit 

The NASCAR Hemi engine had a single 4 barrel carb on what they called a "bathtub" intake manifold here is a pic of a 64 Plymouth with one

1964Heminascar.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scott Eriksen said:

The NASCAR Hemi engine had a single 4 barrel carb on what they called a "bathtub" intake manifold here is a pic of a 64 Plymouth with one

1964Heminascar.jpg

the part really does not look like the actual one 

I have seen more pics of 1:1 units that resemble the MPC kit piece, than ones resembling the Petty '64 unit.  The NASCAR piece in Jo-Han Mopar kits is squared off like the MPC one as I recall.

2 hours ago, Scott Eriksen said:

I guess the question is what version of the car are you building ?  The NASCAR version would use the Hemi/single 4bbl/and the air cleaner that draws in air from the cowl

Actually I planed on using it on a factory stock engine which i planed on putting in a what if 69 Plymouth superbird which would be a factory stock street legal version 
I just need to find the parts I need from a factory stock amt 69 gtx hardtop mainly the body, glass, taillights, back bumper and hood which I would merge with a mpc 68 coronet rt convertible and the engine and nose cone and wing from a mpc 69 daytona 

Edited by michelle