Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old cars brings back old memories

I just recently bought this kit I originally bought it for another kit the motor I wanted a Rochester fuel injection system but after I open the kit and took a look at it I decided not to use it for this other kit I was going to build it. Here are some photos after it's been painted and a clear coat put on it. I remember when this kit first came out I bought it at that time I thought it was a pretty neat kit the only thing I didn't like is the way they designed the axles that go through the motor and I really didn't care the way the top half of the motor went together this is definitely old AMT.

1705442154598.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2024 at 9:20 PM, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

I just recently bought this kit I originally bought it for another kit the motor I wanted a Rochester fuel injection system but after I open the kit and took a look at it I decided not to use it for this other kit I was going to build it. Here are some photos after it's been painted and a clear coat put on it. I remember when this kit first came out I bought it at that time I thought it was a pretty neat kit the only thing I didn't like is the way they designed the axles that go through the motor and I really didn't care the way the top half of the motor went together this is definitely old AMT.

1705442154598.jpg

Here's what the Corvette looks like today Feb.28/24 I'm up to step 3 paint was rubbed out and a glaze coat was used wax not until 9-12 mouths after it's dry. Wheels rims didn't fit the tires you have to cut down backing to get them fit then the shaft for the axle didn't fit and the hole was to big for the axle I had to glue in.

1709078536575.jpg

• Like 3

It’s looking nice Stan!👍 Some of these older kits can definitely be frustrating!🥴 It’s either build them as best as possible from the box, or modify them to suit your fancy…have fun with it!😎

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 1:05 PM, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

Here's what the Corvette looks like today Feb.28/24 I'm up to step 3 paint was rubbed out and a glaze coat was used wax not until 9-12 mouths after it's dry. Wheels rims didn't fit the tires you have to cut down backing to get them fit then the shaft for the axle didn't fit and the hole was to big for the axle I had to glue in.

1709078536575.jpg

Here's what the Corvette motor looks like in the kit notice how it's put together.

1709077928320.jpg

2 minutes ago, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

Here's what the Corvette motor looks like in the kit notice how it's put together.

1709077928320.jpg

That looks like the early 60s kind where the intake and heads were one piece. This is because this kit is really old tooling.Screenshot_20240315_171728_Google.jpg.66dbe7c403ab1343882b50ea148b7830.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

1709077928320.jpg

The interior was really fun to do. The only thing I have to tell you is make sure you use Adhesion Promoter if you are using Dupli•Color paint or it will not stick l made the mistake I knew better now I'm paying for it.

1709690924799.jpg

1 minute ago, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

The interior was really fun to do. The only thing I have to tell you is make sure you use Adhesion Promoter if you are using Dupli•Color paint or it will not stick l made the mistake I knew better now I'm paying for it.

1709690924799.jpg

This is the fun part getting to wrap all the Chrome on the sides around the interior the windshield post and over the headlights.

1710112873778.jpg

14 minutes ago, FoMoCo66 said:

That looks like the early 60s kind where the intake and heads were one piece. This is because this kit is really old tooling.Screenshot_20240315_171728_Google.jpg.66dbe7c403ab1343882b50ea148b7830.jpg

When AMT doing that I stopped buying the new stuff and started building all the hot rods that they were putting out. First new cars were Corvette stingray which I still have to this day in a plastic case and a 1964 Ford galaxie XL with the 427 which I still have today the Chrome on the Galaxy is starting to fade to the color of the plastic used it's so old these cars are 60 years old as of today.

1 minute ago, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

When AMT doing that I stopped buying the new stuff and started building all the hot rods that they were putting out. First new cars were Corvette stingray which I still have to this day in a plastic case and a 1964 Ford galaxie XL with the 427 which I still have today the Chrome on the Galaxy is starting to fade to the color of the plastic used it's so old these cars are 60 years old as of today.

This is the only kit that did anything that stupid. None of the old cars were this way they didn't put axles through the motors with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Vette as of today you know it is getting close to completion when you start putting tail lights and headlights in the bumpers haven't been glued in they've just been set in place I haven't put the windshield in yet for one reason I like to use just a small dab of silicone sealant to hold it in. The other thing is I'm trying to build up enough nerve to put a little bit of tape by the windshield there and drill a small hole for the side view mirror I'm placing the mirror close to the windshield post where it belongs and not way out on the fender like they have.

1710636828560.jpg

1711065715420.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/28/2024 at 6:42 PM, slusher said:

Great paint!

Thank you for that comment that really makes me feel good. What I did was really simple all of you could do it if you just follow the step that I go through when I paint and some of that knowledge comes from AMY'S magazine that Hot rod magazine did back in the 60s and Peterson publication on body and paint books.

• Like 1

I finally finished the 60 Corvette as much as I bellyached about building it I feel that it turned out quite nice I picked the right color. 

I'd sure like to hear from you folks how you feel about the Corvette if you feel the same way as I do I'd sure appreciate the comments.

IMG_20240405_164520344_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20240405_164621293_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20240405_164559271_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240405_164545247_BURST000_COVER.jpg

• Like 1