Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decal question

dwc43

Can I put a dull coat over a decal before I wet it down and put it on a car? They are too shiny and needs to be dulled down. Can't do it once applied to the car cause it will dull the painted area and wont give the desired effect I am looking for. I might be able to tape off the decal, but I am sure removing the tape would damage it.

I've never tried it, but in theory, it I don't see why you couldn't mist some flat clear on the decal to dull it down a bit. Some people shoot old decals with clear coat to preserve them and keep them from breaking when they're applied.

And I think I read somewhere on here that when you make your own decals from a printer you have to spray a clear coat on them too.

That is right, most printers require a clear coat for home made decals. I don't see why a dull coat would not work as well as a gloss coat. I'd try it on some decal you don't need first though just in case. You will also probably have to cut the decal very close or you may get a weird dull coat blob around the decal.

On a related note, I have a question.

Say I need to print some white lettering(think Military). I know I need white decal paper, but what color do I make the lettering in my computer???

If I make it white, how will I know where it printed...lol

Do I have to make an outline or something?? If so, then the outline will show....I'm confused :)

Now that is a GOOD question. I think I asked my Dad similar question and I think what you'd need is white ink in your printer and probably best to print on clear decal sheets. Or, if you dont' have white ink, I suppose you could print a very faint black outline on the white paper and be very slow and causious when cutting your letters out. Your outline would need to be faint enough you dont' notice it on the model, but obviously, duh, dark enough that your eyes can see it while cutting. :)

I think when I start doing this myselfe, we'll learn together.

Say I need to print some white lettering(think Military). I know I need white decal paper, but what color do I make the lettering in my computer???

Do I have to make an outline or something?? If so, then the outline will show....I'm confused :huh:

A regular printer won't print white, so yes, you need white decal paper. Yes, use an outline. Make your outline as close to the color of your model as you can.

Does this make any sense? :)

Edited by roadhawg

A regular printer won't print white, so yes, you need white decal paper. Yes, use an outline. Make your outline as close to the color of your model as you can.

Does this make any sense? :)

That's what I was thinking. Say it's a star on a green tank use a green outline to match the paint.

Do I have to make an outline or something?? If so, then the outline will show....I'm confused :D

You can use white decal paper and make the decal background another color to make white lettering but that only works for something like a bumper sticker. It is very hard to match the color of the paint well enough to really make stand alone lettering like that.

Your alternatives are a dry ink printer like an ALPS (not cheap), dry transfer letters like you find for model railroads, or have a custom printer make them for you.