Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is There Room For Another 41 Plymouth or Two?

LennyB

9 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I like what you did with the windshield molding Len. If I can find a set of wipers to replace the molded in pieces, I just might do something similar. Why not…I’ve come this far, why quit now?🥴

Thanks, I have some photo-etched wipers I'm going to use on the Coupe. As for the Woody the 48 Ford donor kit comes with wipers. Have to see which look better.

Posted (edited)

The Woody

This woodgraining is fun in a way but it really slows things down on the project. To get this effect the first step is laying down a coat of light yellow as the base. Then using a combination of different colors of oil paint I first mixed a light brown thinned slightly and worked it over the two vertical rails on the interior wall. Can't really see the woodgrain effect so well in the pics but trust me it's there. But then the waiting comes in. Even with using a dehydrator it takes several days for the paint to cure before handling.

DSC00213.JPG.022503547398680fb8ec586b550f0929.JPG

Once things were dry I masked off the two beams and did the panels in a mix of dark browns. Before I laid down the dark brown I splattered a few black spots on the panels to represent knots. All of this was covered with a Watco Crystal Clear Lacquer but as it has sat for two day now it is still not ready to be handled. Still need to paint 'metal' on the top of the interior panels and around the perimeter of the tailgate, which will match the seat color, and chrome the door handles.

DSC00220.JPG.4b14a48c3ceda8e40c1bf881638853d3.JPGDSC00224.jpg.97fe4d750b8ba061fbcdda2cc8010c63.jpg

The interior floor is flocked and the seats are in place and waiting for the rest of the pieces to join the party.🥳 The flocking is messy and got my seats dirty already, have to get out the vacuum.😜

DSC00216.JPG.aae009c5d10aca44bfd2b1a21e49b048.JPGDSC00215.JPG.27727c0cdd65d2beb1b6a2463f48b7ba.JPG

'till next time, cheers!

Edited by LennyB
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This wood-graining nonsense has it's ups and down.  Put the Woody on hold to let the interior panels sit for a week and a half to dry. Then masked off the wood so I could spray the surrounding 'metal' and the tape pulled off some of the wood grain. Guess the oil paint needs more time. Anyhow I touched up the damaged spots as I didn't go too far with the tape and screw everything up and then hand painted the metal.

DSC00258.JPG.0b0e2d3ef7aa07ef8301a27153b78289.JPG

But then I mocked up the body to the tub and found we now sit too high in the rear. Have to do some reworking of the rear to bring it down. Might need to find some different springs with less arch. I'm not going to lower it AMT's way, that's for sure. Anyone who has worked on one of these knows what I mean.🙄

DSC00261.JPG.c55db851c7c763d910c9e94bf7349ecf.JPG

I was also doing some research with baited breath to see if they used fender welting on the rear and of course they did. Was hoping they eliminated it between the wood and the fender. So back to making fender welting. I grabbed some .025" this time and I think it looks too big. Not sure if I really want to rip it out and go down to .020". If it's going to worth the trouble.😬

DSC00260.JPG.7dccb8b78a2f36783106655fd9bfcf42.JPG

And just in case you thought I forgot about it the coupe it has been making progress as well. Mainly sanding and spraying, sanding and spraying.... Hopefully I'm happy with it soon to get some paint on it.

DSC00264.JPG.a10cc876624c6a55cce6f35e131eff62.JPGDSC00263.JPG.dca1436b5417e920ea9390351fb6b0fd.JPG

Until next time, happy trails...🐎

• Like 1

Thanks guys, just have to make it safely thru paint. 🤞

BTW Jim the paint is Createx Wicked Crimson. Already did the dash with it.

DSC00263.JPG.e2f7b114654a55ad0ca1bb8c0c7835d3.JPG

One thing I'm finding with both cars is I'm loosing the badge on the nose under the primer. Not that it was too well pronounced to begin with.  Cleaned up the coupe with a q-tip and some nail polish remover. Wondering if it would be worth trying to print a decal but I hate to waste a whole 8 1/2 x 11 sheet for two teenie weenie emblems.😮

On 4/17/2024 at 7:05 PM, LennyB said:

Thanks guys, just have to make it safely thru paint. 🤞

BTW Jim the paint is Createx Wicked Crimson. Already did the dash with it.

I bought a flight of that stuff but have not had the guts to try it. I got a set of iridescent colors. I would be interested how to use this stuff. I'm mostly an enamel guy. But no water base at all. It seems unnatural 🤔

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, customline said:

I bought a flight of that stuff but have not had the guts to try it. I got a set of iridescent colors. I would be interested how to use this stuff. I'm mostly an enamel guy. But no water base at all. It seems unnatural 🤔

I know what you mean. I picked up two flights but have only sprayed small pieces so far. Apprehensive about doing a whole body. But you gotta dive in some time.🤿 

They tell you you don't have to thin it but I find when I don't it beads up on the plastic. Also say you have to add clear to it to make it more durable. Anyway, I'm going to proceed with what I have for now and see how it goes but bought some Scale Finishes Basecoat for a couple of future projects.

Edited by LennyB
typo

Moving in a forward direction with the Plymouth's, for the most part at least. Working on the stance issue on the woody. Found a rear axle in the parts box of unknown origin with a lot less arch in the springs. Adapted the leaf springs to a spare Plymouth axle. Now we have the rear sitting properly.

DSC00265.JPG.57d7f7cb89b8fb2739422d81f88738d6.JPGDSC00267.JPG.07ee29c471f119f7210217e1fec74248.JPGDSC00269.JPG.c906e1e70d9974c6d4aa11b3fe3efef0.JPGDSC00275.JPG.fa2d8e26fe166db78876081fb98b0269.JPG

Don't worry that metal axle is going bye-bye in the front shortly

DSC00276.JPG.be717adce972fda08d106177707bc58a.JPG

Next I decided to follow in the footsteps of the Reverend Jim and add those tiny magnets to hold the hood in place. Did it to both the Woody and the Coupe. They damn sure holds the hood in place.

DSC00278.JPG.c33390926f844e5491abe2bb36c2354f.JPG

And just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water the  curse of AMT strikes again. The hoods now sit up at the rear due to the strength of the magnets. Guess I need to go back to church and pray they find their rightful place on the body.😇

DSC00277.JPG.b0fc2cb89bf1fdd2595b268fcc10e535.JPG

But wait, there's more. Trying to mate the baby Hemi to the chassis of the coupe I now find it no longer fits between the inner fenders. I have no idea what happened here, it fit fine last I tried.

DSC00279.JPG.b717de8e3fe88d5b5540f71d6d99c84a.JPG

It's getting to the point where it's no fun anymore. Maybe I should just pack 'em i a box and take up needlepoint.😵

Hey, Len, stamp collecting is pretty easy. All you need is money and a magnifying glass. Just change the angle of the magnets. Tape the hood down tight.  It's tricky but you know what to do,  and maybe the baby hemi is just growing up 🙂  Go watch a movie.

8 hours ago, customline said:

Hey, Len, stamp collecting is pretty easy. All you need is money and a magnifying glass. Just change the angle of the magnets. Tape the hood down tight.  It's tricky but you know what to do,  and maybe the baby hemi is just growing up 🙂  Go watch a movie.

Maybe that’s not a bad idea📬I once worked with a guy who collected stamps. He turned it into a business and retired. 🥸

I’ve messed with the angle a bit but it keeps popping up in the same spot. Think it might have to do with the lip I created early on to align the hood. Maybe I’ll remove that and see where it gets me🙃

1 hour ago, LennyB said:

Maybe that’s not a bad idea📬I once worked with a guy who collected stamps. He turned it into a business and retired. 🥸

I’ve messed with the angle a bit but it keeps popping up in the same spot. Think it might have to do with the lip I created early on to align the hood. Maybe I’ll remove that and see where it gets me🙃

I'm thinking maybe getting away from the "nose" location and locating the magnets at the rear corners rather than removing the lip, but it's just a guess. It may allow easier access for locating them from below. Sometimes it's just not easy 😞

I just looked at mine to refresh my memory. I have a single location at the nose and I see I had to shim the hood magnet on an angle to get it to lay down. Individual results may vary 🥴  anyway, I'm gonna need an explanation about the "mailbox" 🤔.....oh, OK, I get it 😏.

Edited by customline

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, customline said:

I'm thinking maybe getting away from the "nose" location and locating the magnets at the rear corners rather than removing the lip, but it's just a guess. It may allow easier access for locating them from below. Sometimes it's just not easy 😞

I just looked at mine to refresh my memory. I have a single location at the nose and I see I had to shim the hood magnet on an angle to get it to lay down. Individual results may vary 🥴  anyway, I'm gonna need an explanation about the "mailbox" 🤔.....oh, OK, I get it 😏.

I thought of putting magnets at the back but I think I could also just put a small lip at the two rear corners to keep it down. Like take those tabs at the corners and add a leg to them.🍗 No not a Chicken leg 🦵 That's better.

As for the mailbox I used to joke with the guy that he spent his spare time licking stamps. Ticked him off something serious. "you don't lick these stamps, they loose their value........😖

Edited by LennyB

4 hours ago, LennyB said:

I thought of putting magnets at the back but I think I could also just put a small lip at the two rear corners to keep it down. Like take those tabs at the corners and add a leg to them.🍗 No not a Chicken leg 🦵 That's better.

As for the mailbox I used to joke with the guy that he spent his spare time licking stamps. Ticked him off something serious. "you don't like these stamps, they loose their value........😖

When I was a mere child, I was in possession of a scrapbook full of tobacco stamps my grandfather, who had been a butcher/ store owner back in the '20s, '30s, and '40s had saved (for me) and, after he was gone, I had no idea what they were. There were also many foreign postage stamps and such but I was not interested in them. I wish I had kept track of them. Stupid kid. 💩. Yes, I was a stupid kid. I admit it. 🥺  perhaps I still am .

Edited by customline

4 hours ago, LennyB said:

As for the mailbox I used to joke with the guy that he spent his spare time licking stamps. Ticked him off something serious. "you don't like these stamps, they loose their value........😖

I added a couple of little tabs to the body in front of where the tabs on the hood are located. It seens to keep the hood from skewing off to one side. Knowing this kit however, by the time I get to final assembly, the hood may well sit wonky again.😬

IMG_1948.jpeg

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

I added a couple of little tabs to the body in front of where the tabs on the hood are located. It seens to keep the hood from skewing off to one side. Knowing this kit however, by the time I get to final assembly, the hood may well sit wonky again.😬

IMG_1948.jpeg

I ran two strips down the inside of each fender for the same reason. They keep the hood centered, now I just need to get the rear edge to lay down and behave.

DSC00279.JPG.64fed740c16e5253ad57a98db3e85701.JPG

The Coupe

It will beeee haaaave now. Added two ears at the rear of the hood from some scrap sprue.

DSC00280.JPG.88c6aa2b19b56bca4b0d1b9733e4ca1f.JPG

And now it sits flat and is locked solidly in place. 

DSC00281.JPG.69a44be2843c96bf54ec6b9cd1b8d38c.JPG

Take that you AMT engineers. 😬

7 hours ago, customline said:

Hey! Good thinking!  You don't mind if I use that some day, do ya?  More than one way to skin a cat, Len.... 🐈‍⬛

Hey, go right ahead Jim. I used your magnet idea so it’s only fair.😊

5 hours ago, LennyB said:

Hey, go right ahead Jim. I used your magnet idea so it’s only fair.😊

Oh...the magnet thing is not my idea, I merely passed it on. I've been using it for several years now though. I picked it up, I think, on the old SA forum. Your idea for the "ears" combined with the "nose" magnet, potentially,  makes use of the firewall/cowl slots found on many kits. In some of my builds I have closed those unsightly slots intended for "hinges" or used them for wire hinges, as was appropriate. Now, thanks to you, there is another option.  Kudos! 🙂  (what's a kudo?)

3 hours ago, customline said:

Oh...the magnet thing is not my idea, I merely passed it on. I've been using it for several years now though. I picked it up, I think, on the old SA forum. Your idea for the "ears" combined with the "nose" magnet, potentially,  makes use of the firewall/cowl slots found on many kits. In some of my builds I have closed those unsightly slots intended for "hinges" or used them for wire hinges, as was appropriate. Now, thanks to you, there is another option.  Kudos! 🙂  (what's a kudo?)

Some commentators hold that since kudos is a singular word it cannot be used as a plural and that the word kudo is impossible. But kudo does exist; it is simply one of the most recent words created by back-formation from another word misunderstood as a plural. Kudos was introduced into English in the 19th century; it was used in contexts where a reader unfamiliar with Greek could not be sure whether it was singular or plural. By the 1920s it began to appear as a plural, and about 25 years later kudo began to appear. It may have begun as a misunderstanding, but then so did cherry and pea.

1 hour ago, LennyB said:

Some commentators hold that since kudos is a singular word it cannot be used as a plural and that the word kudo is impossible. But kudo does exist; it is simply one of the most recent words created by back-formation from another word misunderstood as a plural. Kudos was introduced into English in the 19th century; it was used in contexts where a reader unfamiliar with Greek could not be sure whether it was singular or plural. By the 1920s it began to appear as a plural, and about 25 years later kudo began to appear. It may have begun as a misunderstanding, but then so did cherry and pea.

Oh...um....what? 😴

• 2 weeks later...

At long last we finally have some paint on the coupe.😂 Still need to get some clear on it and then some BMF.

DSC00297.JPG.bb9e2d71f3ddd6933d6701612a6e9682.JPG

There is a small glitch on the hood which I will have to reshoot. But I will give it a couple of days to fully cure before attacking that. Just to be sure there are no other issues.

DSC00300.JPG.c54b3c5c5f93470928ee968b90fbe2c5.JPGDSC00299.JPG.902c70ccab60faeb961b50504d2bce81.JPGDSC00298.JPG.182b1f308056a30f61d2820e0656d146.JPG

The paint is Createx Opaque Red followed with Wicked Red. While they might seem the same looking at the bottle they are anything but.

DSC00301.JPG.8994f666b2931adfed2a7ed2f05519ea.JPG

Just a bit more bodywork on the Woody and I hope to have that sprayed soon. So stay tuned.📻