Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Road Agent.

I would seriously doubt it, as that kit was reissued only the one time (and didn't sell well, which is why it never got issued again).  On top of that, the 1:1 car did have a tinted bubble (if anything, the kit piece may not be tinted enough).

The original mid-Sixties issue may have had a clear bubble.  But again, it didn’t sell well first time around either.  And back then, Revell had a nasty habit of bagging clear and/or red clear parts together with tires.  And their tires were the worst of the bunch back then when they came into contact with plastic.

As far as I know no one's ever done a replacement bubble top fer the reissue of the Road Agent. Resin casting a part that size and that shape in clear or tinted resin and getting it right would be tricky.

Perhaps a bubble could be vacu-formed using the kit piece as a buck, although I'm not sure if the kit part would survive the the heat of the vacu-forming process.

The bubble fer the real Road Agent wuz done in a fluorescent yellow/orange plastic, it would appear more yellow or orange depending on the lighting. I built this one from an original kit and I tinted the bubble to more or less look like the real car.

20230222_174334.jpg

20230222_174551.jpg

You could use the original to make a mold, then pour that solid, with resin, and use that as a buck to vacuform or thermoform a new one. I would probably try thermoforming one over the original, first. I've had decent luck, doing that with windshields.

Edited by Straightliner59

13 hours ago, Mothersworry said:

Perhaps a bubble could be vacu-formed using the kit piece as a buck, although I'm not sure if the kit part would survive the the heat of the vacu-forming process.

I've been able to vacuform windshields using kit parts as bucks without melting the kit parts. Most of the heat goes into softening the vacuform plastic before it comes into contact with the buck, so relatively little heat is transferred to the buck.