Model Cars Magazine Forum

Did AMT make two 1966 Buick Rivieras?

They made the annual kits in 1966 and 67.  These kits had a one-piece chassis/floor pan that was held to the body by the (in)famous screws, along with a one-piece interior tub.

In the 1990s, AMT tooled up a new 66 Riviera kit.  This kit had a separate frame and floor pan, detailed suspension and the interior built up on the floor pan.

• Like 1

The 1966 annual was updated and issued yearly through 1969.  The '69 still exists but has not yet been reissued by Round 2.

The existing 1966 kit is a different one, tooled in the late Nineties.

• Like 1

I had a '66 Riviera promo as a kid. No idea where it came from, this was close to the OG annual kit issue. I have kit bashed the new '66 kit, used almost everything from it on other projects. The interior went in an (unfinished) '49 resin Mercury, the engine into a '40 Ford. I'll call it probably the best-detailed nail head available.

I got the ‘66 low rider kit. I also picked up an ancient Astro I kit. It has several glue bomb Astro Is. Another vendor made a me deal on two Lancia Monte Carlos; an Esci and Heller. One is long tail and the other short. Both based on the same molds. 

On 2/13/2024 at 6:35 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

I have the retooled '66, and it is indeed a very nice kit.   I'd love to see something like the '65 Riviera, or a '63 Pontiac Gran Prix get a similar treatment.

That would be really cool, or even an all new ‘65 Riviera. It’s such a nice looking car. GM had a lot of nice looking cars in that era. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 7:35 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

I have the retooled '66, and it is indeed a very nice kit.   I'd love to see something like the '65 Riviera, or a '63 Pontiac Gran Prix get a similar treatment.

I also have the retooled '66.. I love that 2x4-bbl nailhead motor...😎👍