Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lowenbrau Porsche 962 – Daytona 1986

Starter 1/43rd resin kit.  The rear fins and wing were warped and the fins had sink marks in them.  I straightened them with a hairdryer and filled the low spots with CA before rescribing and cleaning up the body.

X50UxnJ.jpg

Sqqnznu.jpg

The front wheels are chrome plated and look nice, but the rear wheels are aluminum and were oxidized dark gray.  Steel wool and polish on the lathe seems to have done the trick.  The one on the right is how they came out of the box.

nRXjUZm.jpg

• Like 1

The headlights were yellowed like the windows and I have been having good results with peroxide and sunlight on them so I tried it on the resin headlights.  It did lessen the yellowing a good amount but also left them chalky and no longer transparent.  I clear coated them with acrylic gloss and restored the transparency.  Next time I'll just use the sunlight.

The body is painted and ready for decaling.

px0NnD6.jpg

• Like 2

Not to highjack the thread but if Mark wants to off the decals he has to someone, this is mine in 1/24 using most of the IPMS Convention sheet and the old UMi humps n bumps. Highly recommended.

P1010103-2.jpg

Edited by Allan31
  • Like 1

Here’s the decal sheet, Allan …. The artwork was done by some local IPMS members - they took the trouble to get the colors just right - maybe Scalemaster will re-consider …  a super-build could be done with the mods that you used and Clay Model’s great resin engine and trans kit … just sayin’ …

ED9A5B12-36AA-4E0E-A577-07F031DD9451.jpeg

On 3/6/2024 at 1:23 PM, absmiami said:

Here’s the decal sheet, Allan …. The artwork was done by some local IPMS members - they took the trouble to get the colors just right - maybe Scalemaster will re-consider …  a super-build could be done with the mods that you used and Clay Model’s great resin engine and trans kit … just sayin’ …

ED9A5B12-36AA-4E0E-A577-07F031DD9451.jpeg

That artwork was not "done by some local members". 

Did you not notice the Scale-Master Decals logo on that sheet?  Have you not noticed my screen name and avatar? 

It's no coincidence.  I run Scale-Master Decals.  My Dad and I did that sheet.  That is why I have the artwork on file. 

I'm not sure where you got your information, but it is incorrect and I would think a lawyer would get his facts straight. 

I was there too, in fact I won Best Automotive at that convention with my '69 Camaro.

16 hours ago, absmiami said:

Well - at least i complimented the art work - - - and that Camaro  - was that a Donahue Trans Am ??

Would you appreciate someone who doesn't know what they are talking about giving credit to someone else for building one of your models?   And when you correct them they say, "Well - at least i complimented the work"?  Way to be classy Andrew. 

You seemed proud to give credit to the wrong person/people for creating the artwork as if you knew firsthand (whether out of ignorance or wanting just to sound relevant to the topic, I don't know) but you can't even admit you made a mistake when it is brought to your attention by the one person here who actually was involved?      

As for the Camaro; I assumed you knew which one it was, being such an insider at that show and in that area.  

18 hours ago, absmiami said:

Well - at least i complimented the art work - - - and that Camaro  - was that a Donahue Trans Am ??

Uh, that reply sure sounds like damning with faint praise to me. For someone who's known for amazing built models, it sure seems you are wearing your contempt for another builder, on his own thread showcasing his own excellence, right on your sleeve. Correct me if I'm wrong. If you ever pull this on the Facebook page I run for my local club, trust me...you'll be gone or put on post restrictions immediately.

3 hours ago, absmiami said:

I surrender- twas nothing more than poor long term memory - now was that the Donahue Trans Am ?  Did i remember that ??  

Are you perhaps thinking of Randy Derr's amazing 1/12 '69 Sunoco Camaro he built in the early 90's? It's held up remarkably well and still looks perfectly immaculate. This was in March of 2022 when he invited me over to see his Greenwood Corvette that was nearing completion. Edit: Mark's model was an OOB 1/12 Camaro in orange w/white stripes. And stunning. 

2v2eq1mBMxvKa6.jpg

Edited by Zoom Zoom