Model Cars Magazine Forum

race car plug wire, thick, 1/24

What do you use for plug wire?  There is race-car wire, and then there is thick race car wire.  I don't want pre wired distributors.  I am making magnetos for a RR WW2 era V12 Merlin engine.  I sourced this from Alan Raab a long time ago.  I have the kit Bugatti T-41 Royale Coupe Napoleon and intend to replace the kit-engine with this Merlin engine.  He also at one time offered the Packard V12 Merlin WW2 engine.  The RR Merlin is in 1/24 scale.  I don't know what kit the Merlin came out of.    'Preciate it.

DO  you know the actual diameter of the 1:1 wires?  Once you know that just divide it by either 24 or 25 and you will have the scale wire diameter. Then find the wire that close enough.  There is a range of "scale" ignition wires available out there. One will be close to what you need.

1/2" wire you may want to try .020" wire wrap wire. It can vary in size. I got some on eBay that is TOO big coming in at .037"... I have already given some away. Real wire wrap wire, one spec is MIL -W-81822, this is the only way I will order wire going forward.

Here is a handy chart, midway down the page. I use mainly the A30 gauge that measures .0185-.0205".

https://pdf4pro.com/view/mil-w-81822-wire-cabletool-net-414d4.html

EDIT: Aircraft engines don't have loose plug wires running every which way.

A Merlin would typically have something like old-school Packard 440 5-7mm stranded-core wire encased in a woven anti-abrasion, anti-RF-interference jacket, with everything run through a metal loom...like this:

Packard_Merlin_V1650_7_2.jpg

The rigid looms look kinda like what was used on old Ford flatheads...but the exact configuration depends on the specific engine and application.

image.png.f5985df3680438484396d2d9fee0fb13.png

Here's the old-school 7mm wire running from the mag terminals into the first part of the braided jacket...

image.png.0efbbabc280d777d4d83665b853fb3e4.png

When the wires come out of the rigid looms to go to the plugs, they typically get run inside individual braided jackets that have securing nuts on the ends...

image.png.91d41361338454621b6c201495ba76f4.png

Use these shots as a general guide, and you'll be OK. 

The diameter of the individual braided plug-wire jackets you see is approximately 1/2 inch (or a tad larger) or .020" in 1/24 scale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or you could just use wet spaghetti.

As thick as what a lot of guys use...the garden-hose-looking stuff...you might as well join the club.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1