Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flying Dutchman Dart Paint Question?

5 hours ago, Oldriginal86 said:

Looks like three different colors...

I thought so too at first. But the more I look at it, the more I think it's all the same candy green applied with three different degrees of heaviness (if that makes sense). The side panel has a light coat over a silver base, the rest of the car has further coats, and the dark lines around the side panel is more of the same applied heavily. Those dark lines are going to be tough, as they will be quite thin in scale and they don't have a hard edge. At least that's how it looks to me. I think I would try a candy or clear green over a silver base. Tamiya clear green lacquer might be a place to start, though there are proper candy greens out there. Worth spraying a couple spoons and see what it looks like. Oh, and I should sum up by saying I am NOT an expert on these things, so take it for what it's worth. 

I always thought this was one of the coolest of the early floppers. Are you going to build it? 

21 minutes ago, Bainford said:

I thought so too at first. But the more I look at it, the more I think it's all the same candy green applied with three different degrees of heaviness (if that makes sense). The side panel has a light coat over a silver base, the rest of the car has further coats, and the dark lines around the side panel is more of the same applied heavily. Those dark lines are going to be tough, as they will be quite thin in scale and they don't have a hard edge. At least that's how it looks to me. I think I would try a candy or clear green over a silver base. Tamiya clear green lacquer might be a place to start, though there are proper candy greens out there. Worth spraying a couple spoons and see what it looks like. Oh, and I should sum up by saying I am NOT an expert on these things, so take it for what it's worth. 

I always thought this was one of the coolest of the early floppers. Are you going to build it? 

I think you're close but I think the ar was first painted silver. Then a light coat covered the entire body. The top has one or two additional coats. with possibly a light second coat on the lower portion of the car especially the lower rear quarter panels. Then a darker green, maybe also a candy or transparent green was sprayed on the character lines. I think the darker colors as its very even and looks like it was painted in one shot.