Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Demon 340 MPC

drodg

I am building the 71 Demon 340, obviously the new one and I am painting it Gunmetal Grey GA4 paint code from  MCW paints.  This kit other than the simplistic chassis and the poor fitting hood is really nice.  I haven't got the body painted yet but have done the chassis and have the engine pretty much done but may glue the hood shut.  I love the rallye wheels that come with it and I think the finished car will look good.  I like the finished Demons that have been posted on here since the start of the year.  I am trying not to use the decals that came with the kit.  I have a set of decals that are Fred Cady's and hope they are still good.   

IMG_6569.jpg

IMG_6572.jpg

Edited by drodg
  • Like 5

A molded in drive shaft but no molded in rear dif, AMT I tell ya 🙄. Oh and you want a simplistic mopar chassis look at the johan sox and martin cuda. Anyway looks good, like the color.

Edited by FoMoCo66

GA4 Light Gunmetal (same as Plymouth's Winchester Grey) is going to look dynamite on your build. I've been contemplating that colour for my next build - but with the orange / black interior (the only other factory correct option for the bucket seat interior) .

Keep up the nice work !

• Like 1

Watching this one. I have a 72 build going on now also. I preordered 3 of these kits, all came in within 2 days of each other. I plan on doing one like my brother’s 71 Citron Yella w/ black painted code V02 roof. Yours is coming along nicely, gunmetal will be a nice, different look.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone.  I am going to be working on the interior tonight and trying to decide how to do the black seats.  They have grey inserts on the 1:1 car.  Since I had a B5 340 71 numerous years ago I feel like the grey is a bit of a metallic on the inserts also.  Anyhow I do like the kit and I am excited to continue to work on it.  I have a bachelor night tonight since my wife has Bunco so plan on getting some serious work done.   

1 hour ago, sak said:

I know that on gunmetel satellites and chargers , the seat covers and the top half of the door-cards are gunmetal, everything else is black

CC-236-035-1200.jpg

In the A bodies you could not get gunmetal for an interior color.  You got to love that interior you posted.   

Last night used for the first time Mr Super Clear as I want to try something different than the TS13 Tamiya clear.  I put down two coats on the under hood just to see how is lays down.  I think I like how it cured.   I am practicing before I paint the body.  

IMG_6578.jpg

• Like 2

Did some work on the interior Sunday.  I think I am okay with the seats in the black and silver.  The 1:1 car black seats are actually a black/silver insert cover.  The decals for the gauges are from the Last Detail and the IMG_6590.jpg.657dd8e262b02e58ffbb4bd5775b7231.jpgdecal sheet is over 20 years old but they look better than the ones from the kit.  I hate how shiny all the decals are.   I need a few more coats of silver on the seats I believe.  

8 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

Looking really good. It is a shame that they molded the console in to the tub, as it wasn’t available on 4 speeds after 1969 in A body. That is something they should have fixed in the retooling.

I noted that same thing about the console on another build on this sight.  Thanks so much.   

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Some updated pictures.  I have cleared the MCW paints Gunmetal 71 color and hoping to polish out the clear this week.  I am using for the first time Mr Super Klear clear coat and I do like it.  Doesn't seem to orange peel as much as TS13 Tamiya clear.  This kit really goes together well, maybe a little simple and a very undersized engine but a nice kit.  

IMG_6723.jpg

IMG_6731.jpg

Edited by drodg
  • Like 4

Looking good! Since you are putting decals on after the clear, could you just dull coat the decals on the sheet before applying, and then cut really close to the decal? That way you would not have to worry about the Fred Cady ones. Just a thought.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moparman18064 said:

Looking good! Since you are putting decals on after the clear, could you just dull coat the decals on the sheet before applying, and then cut really close to the decal? That way you would not have to worry about the Fred Cady ones. Just a thought.

I actually thought about that and wondered if anyone had success doing that.  I also have a set of The Last Detail decals too.   

5 minutes ago, Scott Eriksen said:

Has anyone tried using the AMT Duster for the chassis/floor pan and driveline ??  I'm still waiting for my Demon from Hobbylinc !

Scott, I will try my chassis that I am doing for the resin one I am doing now on the body from my new Demon kit in a little bit. I will take a couple shots and DM them to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moparman18064 said:

Scott, I will try my chassis that I am doing for the resin one I am doing now on the body from my new Demon kit in a little bit. I will take a couple shots and DM them to you.

Thanks Rich!