Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome "Vacuum Metalizing" Possibilty?

As it's come to my attention that "Little Motor Car Company" is ceasing operation, is there anyone that has any knowledge of a good substitute for a company that will do small batch vacuum metalizing for the hobby?

I have no interest in chrome paint as an alternative, so please, don't even bring it up.

I guess my real question would be is if anyone has had any interaction with this promising looking company in California.

The name is "M&M Metalizing" and according to their website, "There are no minimum quantities, and no job is too small or too large".

They also say that "We are happy to plate anything you desire, ie, toys, model figures, etc".

It sounds promising.

https://mmmetalizing.com/index.html

Steve

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I guess my real question would be is if anyone has had any interaction with this promising looking company in California.

They also say that "We are happy to plate anything you desire, ie, toys, model figures, etc"

I don’t know the company, Steve, but there are companies in the UK that will “chrome plate” things like your baby’s first shoes. If no one knows the specific company, it might be worth exploring similar operations in the US?

best,

Matt

do you have places that do silvering? its the process of making glass into a mirror so the surface has to be right before its done. I saw it on an episode of wheeler dealers on an xjs headlight surround. its turned out good and it was a sprayed on finsh. I keep meaning to email the place and ask if they'd consider model parts

Steve, I researched these guys last year and they appear a little sketch.  First, their business address is a box at a UPS store in a strip mall.  Leading me to believe he’s just a middle man collecting items/parts to be sent to plater.  (Which can be ok since chrome tech and LMG did the same thing). Second, IIRC, I think they have few google or Facebook reviews that aren’t the best.  If you do use them we’re definitely interested to hear how it went. 

13 hours ago, swatters53 said:

Steve, I researched these guys last year and they appear a little sketch.  First, their business address is a box at a UPS store in a strip mall.  Leading me to believe he’s just a middle man collecting items/parts to be sent to plater.  (Which can be ok since chrome tech and LMG did the same thing). Second, IIRC, I think they have few google or Facebook reviews that aren’t the best.  If you do use them we’re definitely interested to hear how it went. 

35 minutes ago, maxwell48098 said:

Has anyone else noticed that the date on the M&M is 2009?

A.J.

This is why I was asking. ;)

Steve