Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 540K by Italeri

landman

That is a nicely built model Pat, and it came together quite quickly too . . . Forced Perspective is a very tricky thing to get right, as I can testify from first hand experience ! . . . Part of the process does involve your own eyesight of course, and then it comes down to what type of camera you are using, followed by the choice of background. The weather, sunshine and lighting, and the time of day all play a considerable part in the success or failure of a photo.

I have found that a very basic camera like my KODAK M340 can sometimes capture brilliant shots, and the camera that was used by Michael Paul Smith was also a fairly basic camera, but I did achieve better results with my NIKON D3000 DSLR camera . . .

As you will have found, the way that you position your grey board on the table, in relation to the chosen background is absolutely crucial to get the illusion right, and then it is all down to the actual camera settings to somehow get both the background and foregound in focus for the same shot.

Your third photo above is probably the best, and if only the grey board had been turned slightly anti-clockwise to follow the curve of the road surface, you might have been lucky to get the background more in focus. The colour of the grey board is also very important, and getting it painted to match the same colour as the road is not easy . . . Well done anyway Pat !

David