Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yes please...LS-powered Lola T70 semi-replica

All my life I've wanted a streeterized '60s prototype car, but real ones are unobtainable now, and every one of the kit-built offerings I've been able to drive, though beautiful, fast, and tons of fun, have come up short one way or another.

But I think I may have finally found the one.

Time to start saving my lunch money again...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, espo said:

Made me go out and buy a fist full of Lottery tickets. 

Yup. And unlike a lot of replicas and kit-cars, this one appears to be entirely capable of turning in some impressive real-race-track performance.

Imagine going out and driving something as rorty and competent as a real 1960s Can Am car that's in good nick whenever you felt like it.

Oh yes....

EDIT: This guy can drive, too. He's right on the edge all the time.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well fellers...I just emailed the company to see if they'll sell components separately...like a bare chassis, suspension uprights, and body panels.

I already have a 944 Turbo gearbox, enough SB Chebby stuff to trade for a decent LS, and I can fabricate the rest or buy it stateside.

We shall see...    https://www.gdcars.com/t70spyder

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Good Luck, Bill.

I hope to see you finish it and drive it!

Thanks. Odds are it won't happen. I'll have to liquidate a lot of stuff to pull it off, and they might not even be willing to sell anything but a complete kit, which I can understand, but that would most likely kill the deal. A full kit is about $100 grand, and there's no way to finance these things...normally...

Still, it's kinda nice to have a dream even at the ripe old age of 146. 

Anyway, I still have the '32 Ford to build as soon as I get settled in Az., and a few others to get running again, so I can't really complain no matter how it goes. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Bill, I hope it works out where you can get one of these, what seems like, very capable machines! Building it should be a cinch for ya! :D

Thank you, sir.

But there's a long way to go to get from here to there.  

Heard back from Gardner-Douglas, the builder of these things, and they're amenable to a spread-out build-stage program, as opposed to requiring purchase of the entire kit. They seem like a good company to do business with, so we'll see what we'll see...

• Like 4