Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cutting board background

This came about when I noticed how much better I could see details and small pieces when viewing those things on a light background.  Heretofore, I had used cutting mats of different colors with varying success usually ending up with magnifying glasses with additional lighting.  I initially noticed this when wetting down white paper towels in the spray booth.  I could make out details of the paint job better.  Anyway, trying it on my work bench about 6 months ago has allowed me to work without any assistance from glasses, just decent lighting.  First I used paper towels, then plain white sheet paper.  About a month ago, I purchased some 12”x18”x1/2” cutting blocks. Easier to clean up and less trash to throw away.  If I need to do some cutting or drilling, I pull out a small cutting mat or piece of 2”x4”.  I also use a piece of glass with white paper under it.  

A39EA1F4-3AAD-4564-B69A-AB3E1E44A780.jpeg

FD8D043D-1EC5-4A66-8AB2-9297A5A53CF3.jpeg

E0F588F5-6CE1-44AB-972A-EBD61247BFA4.jpeg

• Like 3

I have those green self-healing mats and I use scrap paper from the printer to work on. I tape it down and toss it when it gets dirty. I use graph paper and lined post-it paper too. The lines are handy when laying some pieces out that I'm making up.

I also save nice flat cardboard from the back of paper pads and one handy size from cat food packages. I tape it down and can cut on it, make cave sketches, etc. I had cut up some pieces of .062" fiberglass I got at work, this is great to cut on. When it gets too marked up, I just sand it flat again.

I wish I’d seen this tip a couple of months ago. I threw out three 3’x4’ sheets of 1/4” Delrin at work after convincing myself that “I don’t need that for anything “ 😳