Model Cars Magazine Forum

Been putting off buying a table-saw? NOW is the time...

Last time I was in Az., I found one of the now-almost-unobtainable Craftsman radial-arm-saws at a flea market for $75. Needless to say, it followed me to the house out there in the back of a rented pickup.

If things go the way they appear to be going, table-saws that will cut hot-dogs will shortly be a thing of the past too.

Devastating news to those of us who routinely use our table-saws to slice cylindrical meat.

• Like 1

I didn't know these Saw Stop things where a "thing".

I learned how to use shop tools decades ago in high school. Learned proper use and to respect the tools not fear them. Neve had any issues in over 55 years since.

Interestingly, I did some searching around and the reported number of emergency room visits is a bit of floating number - 30,000 67,000 78,000 where three numbers I found.

Gotta protect ourselves from ourselves. What's next - screwdrivers? Gotta stop those 100k+ injuries cause by consumers using screwdrivers as ice picks, can openers, hammers, chisels, and on and on..

When will the insanity end? When will they figure out that you can't fix or legislate against stupidity.

Guess it's time to wrap my hands in bubble wrap so I can't do myself any more harm ;)

cheers, Graham

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

...Guess it's time to wrap my hands in bubble wrap so I can't do myself any more harm ;)

Nope. There's always the possibility you'll wrap it around your head and suffocate, or try to swallow it and choke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have a SawStop table saw in our wood lab at the middle school I teach at.  The "saw" part works really well, but I can't vouch for the "stop" part, and I don't plan on putting it to the test, either.  And before you ask, no, we do NOT let the 7th & 8th Graders use the table saw. 

1 hour ago, Jim B said:

...but I can't vouch for the "stop" part, and I don't plan on putting it to the test, either. 

Just try slicing some weenies to stir into SpaghettiOs or beans...or try to slice some pepperoni for pizza.

That'll tell you everything you need to know.   B)