Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interesting scalpel blades

I saw these on the internet for about $12 for 25. They looked like just the thing for trimming bare metal foil and other jobs where the handle gets in the way. They come in #10 and #11. image.png.878f258266455951dabf6d26f37ef6df.png

• Like 2

Years ago a friend of mine who used to work at a medical supplies distributor used to bring expired supplies (like rubber gloves and other items that were being discarded) to our model club.  He gave me several disposable scalpels with plastic handles.  The handles were full length, but I noticed that they were much lighter than the standard metal handles.  That to me seemed ideal for some very delicate work where light pressure and precision was needed (like trimming BMF on the model).  I ended up shortening the handle, and I also modified it for the blade to be replaceable.  I do use if for trimming BMF, and it works  really well.

That's a nice find.   Like you mentioned, these seem like they would also be good for this type of a task.

I bought a box of "surgical" blades from a tool vendor, 100 for $15. They are great for BMF. Definitely brand X. I used to get real ones from work, no difference in function from what I could tell. I like the idea of the smaller holder.