Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Maisto Mustang

angelo7

I posted some photos of this model on the thread titled "What diecast did you get today?" but I would like to make its own thread as I have seen some interest in this model.  This is the new Maisto 1/24 Mustang Cobra.  I'll post some more photos later with some mods.  Engine detail is poor.   The original tires don't look good so I changed  the tires with the ones from the 1988 model kit as shown on the kit box (last photo).  I'll be flocking the floor too.  The first photo show the original tires.   If you posted photos on that thread also (like user swede70) post the photos here again if you want.

Captueere.JPG

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0207 (2).jpg

Untitled.png

IMG_0211.jpg

Edited by angelo7

Nice work on the interior Angelo - carefully controlled flocking and paint work as well.  Very impressive in total...

-

Just a recap of the photos afforded elsewhere but soon to be buried beneath content otherwise standard to the new diecast acquisition thread. 

Maisto1993MustangCobra2009.JPG.35100b12fe6af2589889234e67faa7a8.JPG

Maisto1993MustangCobra2013.JPG.964bce841be438c8f299a32cd9984859.JPG

Maisto1993MustangCobra2012.JPG.b01e49400c437db71b9128537be322e9.JPG

Things tried to date are as follows:

• The top of the door frames were touched in with a very wet application of Revell of Germany Matte Black applied with a brush which leveled out nicely and blends well.
  • The door and hatch exterior lock cylinders were painted black.  No raised detail is afforded here, while in truth perhaps I should have left the door lock cylinders alone as they are touched in with silver paint as-delivered.
  • The tires were replaced here/above, although fitting solid tires versus hollow vinyl tires from a kit entails more work given one is required to file off a raised locking lip cast-in to each rim.  I found it well nigh impossible to remove the wheels from the axles (i.e. they'd spin a little for twisting, alas they wouldn't shift from the axles however hard I tried), but know too that for metal file as well as emory board work, one can safely file off the unwanted material without fouling or damaging the chassis detail for just restricting work to the topmost section of each wheel when each is positioned where the wheel house detail isn't provided; i.e. the chassis plate doesn't extend over any of the wheel/tire assemblies when things are disassembled and inspected close in.  Although not identified on the sidewalls as 17 inch fitment, some AMT Mustang tires were done as directional Goodyear Eagle 'Gatorback' ZR45's, while if a search is set up on eBay restricted just to 'AMT Mustang tires', sellers exist who split out the parts contained within a plastic kit to make such affordable.
  • Some very light touch-in work was required to address quality control issues in relation to the windscreen trim (in flat black again).  Nothing too serious, and hardly a deal breaker...
  • For applying lengths of Tamiya hobby masking tape and isolating the exterior side view mirrors, then popping a hole in a drug store poly bag to protect the rest of the body shell, I spray painted the mirror housings to match the door frame paint.  Not difficult, whereas things look a touch better for so doing.  Thanks...

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70
  • Like 2

Nice! Had one of these delivered the other day, not bad at all. Might follow your tips and do some detailing on it, definitely need to replace the tires.

Greetings again...

I was searching for interior photos too and after a period the realization hit me that perhaps the 1993 Mustang Cobra is the most listed Bring a Trailer topic of all time!  Wow - just listing after listing after listing...

-

Something discreet tried here - namely an attempt to employ a Silly Putty mask to the exhaust tips prior to applying the few passes of Revell of Germany 'Chrom' aerosol spray lacquer to what remained exposed.  Silly Putty can be used to mask very irregular surfaces with light practice, and while the exhaust pipes aren't rendered separately on the Miasto 1993 Mustang Cobra chassis, if masked creatively one can finesse things consistent with coming up with a good enough result. 

Maisto1993MustangCobra3001.JPG.798ff1ad090fbfe42643dfa955163407.JPG

First, I isolated two small balls of said putty, rolling the results to come up with a pair of coils 'o putty, both which were in turn wrapped around the exhaust pipe tip detail hanging down twice over.  The chassis was removed from the body (two screws only here), then the rest of the chassis was masked, the Revell product identified above sprayed/applied.  The tips received two dots of black paint to suggest these are tubes at the ends, but otherwise not a huge effort.  All in all, the effort came out cleanly...

Maisto1993MustangCobra3003.JPG.041551edfa9434e18c824f0e5d70f73b.JPG

Barely discernible then, whereas I still have trouble taking clear and accurate photos of this topic.  Thanks...

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

Posted (edited)

Funny, I did the same thing on the tail pipes but I used a Sharpie.  I found photo of an engine of another die cast model and I think I might do a little detail on mine.  Not much can be done but a little gray might help.

IMG_0229.jpg

Capture.JPG

Edited by angelo7
  • Like 2

Greetings,

An answer is provided concerning whether or not the broken down/kit version of the 1:24th scale Maisto 1993 Mustang Cobra might possibly come through in Teal versus what appeared to be a middling medium metallic blue; i.e. answer: sorry - a middling metallic blue versus the hoped-for Teal is what we'll be afforded.  The kit iteration does afford two sets of wheels, while with one set chromed I suppose it might be possible to mask the centers of these and spray the rest silver to come up with an alternate look, otherwise few surprises.  Although not my video, a link is afforded to view someone's video where the kit version is reviewed consistent with answering all.  Thanks...

Mike K./Swede70

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...